Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.25809°S / 48.81665°W
Additional Information County: Campina Grande do Sul
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5262 ft / 1604 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Me at the summit of Camelos Peak. 1.604 m.
Me at the summit.
 
The reason for it s name!
The reason for its name! :P
Camelos is NOT one of the mountains called "giants of Ibitiraquire", since it's altitude is quite lower compared to the highest peaks down there. It is one of the almost never visited mountains of the Sierra because it's isolated, far away from the trail to Paraná Peak, and the terrain is too bad to get there and reach the summit. The hardest job is to overcome the lower pass, very wet, muddy. The starting point is at Pico Paraná Farm (900m.), Getúlio Hill reaches 1.500 m high in just 2kms of trail, so all the time you're going up, non stop. Just like others, there isn't much to say about the mountain, personaly it was a great experience for me to reach that summit, i don't know more than 5 people who did it too!, i sure think it is a "must do" for Ibitiraquire range, despite the fact it's not high like the others, the views from up there to Paraná Peak and Tupipiá Peak are for sure breathtaking, fantastic, one of the best for the area!!! I think that fact gives it a special touch.

Main photo: I took that from the summit of Paraná Peak at sunset, Camelos Peak with sun colors and on the back Ciririca Peak and Luar Peak.

Getting There

 
Informational view to its summit.
The route. View from just outside the rocky house.
 
View n° 1 to the other summits
View to the other summits 1.
 
View n° 2 to the other summits.
View to the other summits 2.

Take BR-116 to North till Campina Grande Do Sul, and search for Posto do Tio Doca (Tio Doca Gas Station). Ask for directions to get to the Pico Paraná Farm. From that farm is the starting point to the trail to some mountains of Ibitiraquire range. The trailhead is behind of a sign that says “Pico Paraná” with some geological info and maps on it. At the same sign there's info about distance and time to summit the mountains of the area.

From Getúlio hill walk straight ahead until you reach the jungle line. The trail will divide in three ways. Take the RIGHT at the most open trail, that's the trail to Paraná Peak. After like half an hour the trail will divide again but this time in two, left to Paraná Peak and right to Itapiroca. Take the left and keep going to Paraná Peak. You'll pass by the first camp, keep going. A great place to stay is the rocky house. An old house made of rocks abandoned, by that house there's good camping spots with view to Paraná Peak (now just 1 hour away) and the objective, Camelos peak. Time to it's summit from there: 1 to 2 hours.

Red Tape

As soon as you get to the Paraná Peak Farm, register yourself and pay a fee of R$ 10,00 (about USD 6.00) for the hike.
Parking lot at the farm just before the trailhead;
Well marked trails (just to Camp 2 for Paraná Peak);

What’s forbidden:
To make fire; Deforest any places. Respect the nature and wildlife please! Sometimes the farm owner walks around to check if everything's okay and to check for violations, if he sees you making fire, he'll call the cops!

Camping

Camping available at these places:

1 - Paraná Peak farm;
2 - Getúlio Hill;
3 - False summit of Itapiroca Peak;
4 - Caratuva Peak summit;
5 - Camp 1 to Paraná Peak;
6 - Camp 2 to Paraná Peak; (the rocky house, best place to reach the mountain)
7 - Summit of Paraná Peak.

Weather Forecast

You can hike this mountain in all seasons, but in summer there are rains every day. In winter is cold, but the days are clearer. The temperatures going from -10°C to 15°C.
Best time to climb: April to September.

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes - Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ibitiraquire SierraMountains & Rocks