Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.26583°S / 48.83843°W
Additional Information County: Campina Grande do Sul
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5364 ft / 1635 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Summit of Luar Peak, 1.635m.
Me at the summit, that was the summit register. Too bad!
Luar Peak is one of the mountains called "giants of Ibitiraquire", a selected group of the highest summits of the area. It is one of the hardly visited mountains of the Sierra because is a quite distant walk to its summit, and not so easy. The hardest job is to overcome three summits before that one. The starting point is at Bolinha Farm (1.000m.), just like Cerro Verde there isn't much to say about the mountain either, personaly i don't think Luar Peak is a beautiful mountain such as Cerro Verde, but i sure think it is a "must do" for Ibitiraquire range, the views from up there to Ciririca Peak and to Cerro Verde's canyon are the best, breathtaking!

Main photo: I took that one from the summit of Tucum Peak and it came out really nice, but it’s the only one i have from the mountain at long distance so that should do.

Getting There

Take BR-116 to North till Campina Grande Do Sul, and search for Posto do Tio Doca (Tio Doca Gas Station). Ask for directions to get to the Bolinha Farm. From that farm is the starting point to the trail to some mountains of Ibitiraquire range. The trailhead is behind the property on a grassy field with some trees, well marked. The owner of the property will show you very friendly. From that farm you can reach the summits: Camapuan, Tucum, Cerro Verde, Pico Luar, Ciririca Peak, and Agudos de Cotia.

Times:
From the farm to Camapuan Peak: about 2 - 3.5 hours, it's up to you. Three false summits before the summit of Camapuan! At some time after start walking, at the "Y" point on the trail, take the LEFT.
From Camapuan summit to Tucum summit: 15 min - 40 min
From Tucum summit to Cerro Verde summit: 1 - 3 hours. It's up to the terrain conditions and you. The way is quite tricky and easy to get lost, follow the red ribbons and you'll be just fine.
From Cerro Verde summit to Luar Peak summit: 1 - 2 hours. There is no trail! Fight with the woods.

I marked the trailhead at Google Earth and the file is available for download below.

Helpful sat images:

 
Info sat view. Cerro Verde - Luar Peak trail 1
 
 
Info sat view. Cerro Verde - Luar Peak trail 2
 

Red Tape

As soon as you get to the Farm, register yourself and pay a fee of R$ 3,00 (about USD 1.80) for the hike.
Parking lot at the farm just before the trailhead;
Well marked trails;

What’s forbidden:
To make fire; Deforest any places. Respect the nature and wildlife please! Sometimes the farm owner walks around to check if everything's okay and to check for violations, if he sees you making fire, he'll call the cops!

Weather Forecast

You can hike this mountain in all seasons, but in summer there are rains every day. In winter is cold, but the days are clearer. The temperatures going from -10°C to 15°C.
Best time to climb: April to September.

Camping

Camping available at these places:

1 - Bolinha farm;
2 - Camapuan summit;
3 - Tucum summit;
4 - Cerro Verde summit.
There's no camping spot at the summit of Luar Peak, but there's another great spot for camping below the summit about 200 vertical meters, in front of a big valley towards Ciririca Peak. Very exposed to winds.

Google Earth KML file for download

Be my guest, i marked the two main summits and the trail.

For the download, please access: http://www.4shared.com/file/oZ_FJ1Qs/Cerro_Verde_-_Luar.html



Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links


My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes
- Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ibitiraquire SierraMountains & Rocks