Cerro Avilahuayco

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 2.80038°S / 79.24246°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 13780 ft / 4200 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

You can follow a marked trail to the summit of this 4,200m peak located in Cajas National Park. If the weather conditions are good, you should be able to see Cuenca and a great number of lakes.

Getting There

When heading to Cajas from Cuenca, pass the National Park entrance. Continue to the first parking lot on the second or third curve on the way up. You can leave your car there. Continue on the way up from there until the next curve and you should see the beginning of the route.

Route

The National Park advises the route is difficult and takes 6 hours. A normal time should be more like 3 to 4 hours. However, usually I complete it in under 2.

Red Tape

You are meant to go all the way to the Toreadora visitors centre, sign the visitors book and let them know what you are up to before you start the route. No one seems to check if you dont.

When to Climb

Year-round.

Camping

Possible.

External Links

http://parque-nacional-cajas.org/maps/avilahuayco.pdf - Topographic hiking maps of Cajas



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.