Cerro San Miguel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 14.55429°N / 90.20579°W
Additional Information County: Jalapa
Additional Information Elevation: 7546 ft / 2300 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mountain or Cerro San Miguel is located in the village with the same name. San Miguel or San Miguel de Colis SE from Guatemala city, is a tiny village of Mataquescuintla town, Jalapa distric. SW from Jalapa.

Village is over 1680 mts above level sea, while summit of the mountain is around 2300 mts in a big plane area.

Near mountains or peaks are Pajal, San Jomo, San Granada, el Tenozco, El Cerron y Las Minas all in the same San Miguel area. Mostly of them with many farms around.

Cerro San Miguel Reaching the summit


Getting There

Many ways to get Mataquescuintla from Jalapa or Guatemala city.
Short way is from Guatemala city to San Jose Pinula (25 km), then go direct to Mataquescuintla (85 km).

From Mataquescuintla is a dirty road (4km) to San Miguel, a lot of trails going up to the mountains, take principal trail. After an hours hiking a couple of trails going down again. just follow uphill.

Near to the summit you will find a cross trail. left going surrounding the summit, and right path going to a couple of little rivers and cascades descent some meters. From the first river need to climb in a tiny trail, jump in some little creeks, trail with high inclination goes direct to summit area. Feel free to pass in the farms... just ask before if you see some people.

Cerro San MiguelCerro San Miguel going down by the north side

Red Tape

No fees at all.

Camping

Many private farms, is possible to camping in many areas previously negociated with the owners or workers. Normally for free.