Volcan Siete Orejas - Guatemala

Volcan Siete Orejas - Guatemala

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 14.80000°N / 91.58333°W
Additional Information County: San Martin Sacatepequez
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11056 ft / 3370 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

volcan Siete Orejas alternatives names: Tuigucxingan and Vucxiquin.

Siete Orejas means "seven ears", as the name suggested is a volcano with seven peaks. Two main peaks looks so similiar 1) 3157 mts and 2) 3370 mts at north-east face, both separated by 4 kms edge. The highest peak have a couple of wood crosses on top with rocks puttings in a circle. Uses by locals for ceremonial rituals.

Crater is so huge, erosionated by the south side. Looks as a horseshoe.
Volcan Siete Orejastop of the volcan


summit from Volcan Siete Orejastop of the volcan

Getting There

From Guatemala city to Quetzaltenango, then go to San Juan Ostuncalco, next is a nice town named San Martin Sacatepequez (San Martin Chile Verde) 25 km from Quetzaltenango. At the center of the town is a big church. To the north/east take a little trail with white sand. This was deposited by some eruptions from Santa Maria Volcano in 1902. A few homes more then forest begins. Is a lot of trails, many of them going to nowhere, so if you can find a local guide recomended. About 3 hours to the top.

San Martin Sacatepequeztop of the volcan
Volcan Siete Orejas

Camping

No necesary at this volcano, but if you get there early morning is possible to do Volcan Chicabal at the same day. There is a nice place to camping.

External Links

Map of the zone
Video a group of mountainneers on the top
My own site