Cevedale from Rifugio dei Forni

Cevedale from Rifugio dei Forni

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 24, 2005
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Normal route to Cevedale

Gran Zebrù Val Cedec
From Rifugio dei Forni parking (2150m.) to Rifugio Pizzini (2706m.) it takes approximately 1,30 hours (if you have a good pace you can easily save a quarter). I followed a narrow road closed to the traffic (there is a shuttle service starting from Rifugio dei Forni in case you want to save time and some energies. With the SUV it takes a quarter till Rifugio Pizzini) in the very nice Val Cedec. In front of you the wonderful Gran Zebrù ( Koenig Spitze ).
I did it all alone in a clear and fresh morning. A lot of marmots all around you till you take the camera. Then, one second before shooting,..... well this is an old story. After a coffee break at Rifugio Pizzini, continued to the road till the Cedec lakes ( small lakes reflecting the sky like steel blades ) and started to find a lot of snow. The summer path to Cevedale Pass and Casati Hut was dangerous because the risk of avalanches. I followed a poor trail on the right in direction of the winter route. At approximately 3000m. the snow layer was 50cm. and the route a bit steep ( close to 40° in some parts ). Before arriving to the pass there is a very short traverse (maybe 10m.) pointing right a bit exposed, then you can relax : the trail becomes flat and you arrive to Casati Hut (3255m.) From Pizzini to Casati it took about 1:30 but, due to the snow that made it very tiring, it seemed to climb for many hours.

Refuge Pizzini from Cevedale Pass

Then the easy and not stressing walk on the glacier covered by a lot of snow. I was a bit worried for crevasses pretty covered by fresh snow but I confidently followed the trail made by a couple of teams leaded by local Guides.
Cevedale











The climb was easy for more than one hour as the glacier is nearly flat then you have to reach the ridge. This part isn't long but the quote ( approx 3700m. ), the steepness and 80cm. of fresh snow made it demanding for my lungs. On the ridge a couple of clouds welcomed and went with me till the mountaintop so that, once on the summit, I could easily take a picture of my boots, drink some water, think that, to see fog, it is easier to stay in Piazza del Duomo in Milan, then turn back.

Back to Casati Hut




In approximately one hour I was back to Casati hut where I could eat and recovery a bit the energies. People running Casati Hut are very friendly. After resting I started the descent to Pizzini and to Forni Huts.
Fortunately the sun melted a lot of snow under 3000m. and was possible to go down to Pizzini on the easy summer route.
All together the round trip took 10 hours ( including the stops at the huts and some time for shooting pictures and talking with people )







.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

CevedaleTrip Reports