Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.69510°N / 116.88013°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5464 ft / 1665 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Death Valley from Chloride Cliff
Death Valley south from Chloride Cliff

Chloride Cliff (5,269') and Boundary (5,464') are a few high points in the northern Funeral Mountains east side Death Valley. Chloride Cliff Mine was started up there in 1871 when silver was discovered. An unimproved road leads to the mining ruins from the east or a hike up from the Valley by the Keane Wonder Mine from the west. These barren viewpoints about midway up Death Valley have big time vistas up and down.

The drive up requires 4WD. The hike from the Valley is about 10 miles round trip and 4,000' gain. Boundary is an easy hike 1 mile east of Chloride Cliff.

 
Note: The approach from Death Valley via Keane Wonder Mine is now open at the Beatty Cutoff as of January 2024, and the mine itself was reopened in 2017. Click here for updates.

Getting There

 
North Funeral Mountains from Daylight Butte
Funeral Mountains from the north
Drive up from the east: From Hell's Gate (in DV Nat. Park) at the junction of Daylight Pass Rd. and Beatty Cutoff go northeast over Daylight Pass 10.7 miles to a dirt road going south. Take the road 22.8 miles as it goes straight then turns up into the mountains to Chloride City. 4WD.

From Death Valley side: From the junction with Hwy. 190 take the Beatty Cutoff 5.8 miles north to the road to Keane Wonder Mine. Go right 3 miles (all vehicles) to Keane Wonder Mine parking. (1,300')

Route

 
Death Valley from Chloride Cliff
Death Valley from Chloride Cliff
The hike from the Valley is also the trail to Keane Wonder Mine which is at about 1.5 miles and 2,850' along the route to Chloride Cliff. Boundary is an easy 2 mile round trip hike from Chloride Cliff down to the left around a wash and back.

Red Tape

 
North Funeral Mountains sunset
North Funeral Mountains from Daylight Butte
There is a 20 dollar fee per vehicle good for 7 days to enter Death Valley National Park.

When to Climb

 
Death Valley from the trail to Chloride Cliff
Death Valley from trail to Chloride Cliffs area.
Remember this is the hottest place on earth! The strenuous hike up from the Valley is best in spring and definitely not summer!

Camping

Click here for camping in Death Valley National Park.
The road to Chloride Cliff is beyond the National Park boundaries and car camping anywhere.