Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.84463°N / 117.02444°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6600 ft / 2012 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Corkscrew and Thimble Peak from the northCorkscrew and Thimble Peak from the north
It's a juicy sounding name but actually it's a barren desert peak way out there in the middle of nowhere! This is an obscure peak (unnamed on topo) near Red Pass in the Grapevine Mountains of Death Valley National Park. It looks like a nipple from the southern approach and makes for a fun day hike from Red Pass with good views except to the northeast where it is bested in height by a few boring desert rollers with even less significance. To the south are Corkscrew and Thimble Peak and the Panamint Range. There is a good view to the southwest down toward Titus Canyon. To the west are the Cottonwood Mountains and the Inyo Mountains beyond that. On the far west horizon looms the High Sierra. To the north are Mt. Palmer, Grapevine Peak and Wahguyhe Peak, the highest peaks in the Grapevine Mountains.
As a bonus you get to drive through the popular Titus Canyon narrows on the way out.

Getting There

Titus Canyon RoadTitus Canyon Road
From Daylight Pass on Hwy. 374 (the road to Beatty NV) go 7 miles northeast to the Titus Canyon Road on the left. The Titus Canyon Road is one way generally well graded but has some steep sections. 2 wheel high clearance at least is recommended.
The Titus Canyon Road goes 12 miles west back into the Grapevine Mountains to Red Pass (5,250') where there is limited pullout parking space.

Scramble north (class 2-3) up to "Red Pass Peak" (5,800') which is directly above the pass. Continue north on the ridge that drops down. Go right around a small butte. Negotiate up through some interesting rock formations (class 2-3) and a steep slope to the barren walkup section leading to the Nipple. Retrace the route back. This is approximately 3 miles round trip with 2,000' gain.

Red Tape

Ridge north from  Red Pass Peak Grapevine Nipple from the ridge down from "Red Pass Peak"



The Titus Canyon Road is subject to closures due washouts etc.. Be sure to check Death Valley road conditions before the approach.
There is a 20 dollar per vehicle fee good for 7 days to enter Death Valley National Park based on the honor system.

Camping

Titus Canyon Titus Canyon
Corkscrew Peak from the northCorkscrew Peak from the north
For Death Valley National Park Camping info click here.
The first 2 miles of the Titus Canyon Road are outside the Death Valley National Park boundary and the road is wide enough to pull over and car camp without facilities.

Current weather and 5 day forecast

For current weather and 5 day forecast for Death Valley click here