Claremont Wilderness to Potato

Claremont Wilderness to Potato

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.16570°N / 117.692°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Potato Mountain



Claremont Wilderness Park to Potato Mountain is one of the long ways to do Potato. It is also one of the most classic mountain bike rides in the San Gabriels. The only drawback to this route is the Claremont Wilderness Area is very prone to fire and flood closures.

Getting There

Trailhead


From the Baseline Exit on the 210 freeway head west towards Claremont. Go to the second lighted intersection at Mills Ave. Turn right onto Mills and head north towards the mountains with the towered summit of Sunset plainly seen. Go all the way to the Baldy Road junction. Go straight, on your immediate right there is the Wilderness Park overflow parking, continue straight to the upper parking lot and trailhead.

Route Description


Cobal Canyon


From the Wilderness Park trailhead go through the gate and head up the fireroad to the first junction. Take the right fork signed Cobal. Head up this road to another junction at a water tank. Go right at the water tank and continue to another fork. Stay to you left and continue and continue until a another fork at the saddle for Evey Canyon and Potato Mountain. Take the right fireroad up to the summit of Potato Mountain.

The round trip is about 9-10 miles with over 2000 feet of gain.

Essential Gear

Just the usual hiking gear, trekking poles, sun protection, and maybe tick protection depending on the season. If you are riding you will want all of your normal riding protection and bike tools.

External Links

For more information on the Claremont Wilderness Park

For current conditions Angeles National Forest.

For more information on the Lower Peaks List of the Sierra Club.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.