East Firebreak

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.16570°N / 117.692°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Potato Mountain

The East firebreak gains the summit rapidly in 3/4 mile and 1200 feet of gain. It is a quick close weeknight hike for those living in the nearby cities trying to stay fit during the week.

Getting There

Padua Road

Take the 210 Freeway to Basline offramp in Claremont. You want to head west on Baseline to the first light interesction, Padua Ave. Turn right onto Padua and go north, towards the mountains, for about 2 miles to the lighted Mount Baldy Road intersection. Go right onto Baldy Road and continue for about 1.5 miles reaching a series of turnouts just pass the San Antonio Dam.

Route Description

Trailhead for east firebreak route

The east firebreak route used for Potato starts at the Evey Canyon fireroad trailhead. Hike through the closed gate on the left side. The fire road at first descends then climbs. After about the first 800 feet the road makes two s-turns around a pair of bluffs, the east slope of Potato. After the second turn the road gains little little saddle in the road after about 100 feet. In the grass on the left, south, there is a faint climbers path. Take this faint path until it reaches the firebreak. Turn west onto the fire break and gain steeply over gravel covered hard slopes. The firebreak hits the summit road near the top. Turn left onto the road and walk the short distance to the water tank.

1.5 miles round trip, and 1200 feet of gain.




Essential Gear

Hiking footwear, water, and sun protection.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.