Cliff Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.88570°N / 71.8663°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA WAPACK TRAIL NORTHERN MOST TRAILHEAD: From Route 31 in Greenfield head roughly two and a half miles towards Wilton. Make a right on Russell Station road by the Yankee Farmer and head down that road roughly a mile. Mountain Road will be the second right. Continue roughly a mile and a half over the height of land and past the wildlife refuge signs and the trailhead will be on your left with parking on the right. Hike to the summit of North Monadnock and down the Wapack where you will pick up this trail on top of a small summit in the col between North Pack and Pack Monadnock where you will pick up this trailhead.

Route Description

From North Pack Monadnock...


From the the top of the col between North Monadnock and Pack Monadnock the trailhead is left. Head down steeply on the Wapck trail 0.7 miles to the second Cliffs Trailhead on your left. Taking the trail the other way is a lot less enjoyable and in winter more dangerous due to the one very steep Class 2 section of the trail.

The trail quickly hits a rocky descending area. Then the trail ascends for a short while before descending another steep section to a brook. The trail crosses that brook and then take a Class 2 ascent to a the first cliff with great views to the south and east. Continue through the woods for views off of the two other cliffs also with great views. The trail then continues with alternating pitches up to the summit of North Pack Monadnock.

Essential Gear

In summer just essential hiking gear. In winter use caution on this route due to icy ledges, poor footing and very steep areas. Crampons and trekking poles are a must if you are to try this section.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.