Correcillas / Polvoreda

Correcillas / Polvoreda

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.89760°N / 5.48561°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6555 ft / 1998 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is one of the most beloved peaks in the León province for many reasons: it can be clearly seen from the city of León, it has an aesthetically pleasing pointed shape, it’s the tallest peak in the area, it’s not too difficult to climb, and it has a lot of interesting different routes to explore and places to see.

It’s really a remarkable place in our region, so it’s not uncommon to find people hiking around the surrounding area or climbing the peak.
I find it prettier on winter.

The peak is located just on the border of the Cordillera Cantábrica behind the high plane of the Valle del Marqués. It takes its name from a little village on its north face, but in many other places it’s know as Pico Polvoreda. However, most of the climbers call it Correcillas, there is even an important mountain club from León that takes it’s name of this famous peak.

I have indicated its height as 1998 m, but in fact you can find more heights! I have also seen 2011, or just 2000. I heard once, some people put a big pile of stones on its summit (2 metres) in order to make Correcillas reach 2000 metres!


South face of the Correcillas...South face of the Correcillas from Valle del Marqués




Getting There

It’s possible to get there by bus, either going to Felmín or stopping sooner in Vegacervera.
You can also take a FEVE train to Matallana the Torio, but you will have to walk along the road for a few Kms in order to reach the mountain..

The above directions assume you are coming from the South, for example, from León, the main city. If you are coming from the North, (i.e. Asturias), it’d be better to travel by car.



The road from León is easy and in relatively good condition, and the trip is less than an hour’s drive. The road passes through a remarkable zone called the Hoces de Vegacervera, and through a village of the same name. You´ll cross a remarkable zone called the Hoces de Vegacervera, leaving on your back the village with the same name. Hoces de Vegacervera is a canyon along the Torío river, it has very high walls where rock climbers can be seen everyday.

After passing through the Hoces of Vegacervera one comes to an intersection. On your left is the ascension to Valporquero, famous for its marvellous caves, which are simply amazing. If you like spelunking you can enter the cave, which is open to visitors, and explore its underground river (permit required).

Roads to the Pico Correcillas:

From León:

LE-311

From Asturias:

1) N-630 (crossing the Puerto de Pajares 1.379 m) and then...

a) LE-312 from Villamanín (Crossing the Collada de Cármenes) to LE-311in Cármenes.

b) From La Vid (Crossing the Puerto de La Vid) to LE-311 in Vegacervera.

c) C-626 from La Robla to LE-311in Matallana de Torío.

2) AP-66 (Autopista del Duerna) From Campomanes (Asturias) crossing the Tunel del Negrón (a long tunnel) Note: There is a toll booth so you have to pay, but some people prefer this route as the best way to cross el Puerto Pajares, especially in winter.

Leave the highway in La Magdalena and take C-626 to Matallana de Torío, then LE-311.


Red Tape

Nothing required, no wild dangerous animals... except humans ;-)

Just keep clean the environment please.

When To Climb

As I have mentioned above, I prefer going when there is snow, as it is quite lovely. It is possible to climb the peak 365 days a year and the climb is not at all difficult.

I have heard that during the summer there is a famous race to the top. If you are fit, maybe you can take part!

In winter you can discover the beauty of the Cueva de Moruquín, also know as Ice Cave. I have added some pictures of it. It is quite beautiful. The high plain is also especially pretty when covered by snowfall, and it’s possible to see a lot of peaks in the distance if there aren’t too many clouds.

I recommend taking the time to visit the cave a walk on the high plain. It’s really amazing to hear nothing but the howling of the wind.


Camping and the peaks surrounding area

Camping is not allowed anywhere in the entire province, except in designated private campsites. The nearest campsites are in Pola de Gordón, Montuerto, La Vecilla, Mata de la Bérbula...

It is easy to find accommodations in the area.

If you really want to camp it is possible to set up your tent in Valle del Marqués. Be quiet and pitch your tent at the end of the day. It should be OK if you only spend one night there, but no more. People will surely realise you are there.
No matter what do not have a campfire.


Mountain Conditions

In winter the north face is usually frozen. It’s not too difficult to summit, but if the snow is too hard it could be impossible without crampons. In the photos below you can see the icy surface, it was completely crazy of us to have tried to summit the peak without crampons and an ice-axe.

One more thing: be sure to protect your skin from sun and the frozen north wing, especially at the top.

It can get pretty hot in the summer. There is also a mountain spring in Rodillazo and there is another one in the high plain.


Weather forecast:


[ Left ] Metosat satellite view provided by INM - www.inm.es -
* Note: the map shows the clouds evolution.

[ Right ] Reflectivity map provided by The Weather Channel - www.weather.com -
* Note: the map shows, from blue to red, the power of clouds.









For more info use these links: Weather forecast today (English) | Weather forecast today (Spanish)




My Suggestions

* Visit Cueva de Valporquero. Also, not far from here is the Cueva de Llamazares (More information about this cave can be found in the Bodón page).

* There is also a lovely forest in Valporquero. Spend a few hours walking through the forest.

* Go and see the amazing canyon called Hoces de Vegacervera. You´ll find there a lot of rock climbers if the weather is good. In Pontedo, in the North, there is also a small canyon.

* Try "cecina" in Vegacervera, a traditional food typical of this area.

* On the East you have the Curueño area, which is similar to the Torío. There is a long canyon there, Hoces de Valdeteja, and also a nice waterfall, Cola de Caballo or Cascada de Nocedo, which pours down through the rocks. The waterfall is located between the towns of Montuerto and Nocedo de Curueño.

VERY IMPORTANT:

** Take a MOBILE PHONE with you. You can use it most of the mountain areas. If you can’t phone try going up or changing your position. I can remember my mobile ringing on the summit of Torre de Friero... I couldn´t believe it! Mobile is the best thing to make an emergency call. Forget about radios.
Take note of this number: 987 718 004. It´s the number of G.R.E.I.M., Guardia Civil Mountain Rescue Team. They are professionals with lots of years of experience. If you have serious problems phone them: tell them who you are, how many people are in trouble, try to tell them your location, or at least a detailed description of the area.



Special Info

The meaning in English of some Spanish words.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Collado, collada: col, for instance "Collado de Gete"

* Pico: peak, for instance "Pico Fontún"

* Peña: peak (very tipical from León, Asturias, Santander), for instance "Peña Ten"

* Torre: peak (very tipical from León, Asturias, Santander), for instance "Torre del Friero"

* Cueto: peak, for instance "Cueto Millaró"

* Puerto: mountain pass, for instance "Puerto de Pajares"

* Cordillera: big group of mountains, for instance "Cordillera Cantábrica"

* Macizo: massif, group of some mountains or peaks, for instance "Macizo Central, Urrieles of Picos de Europa"

* Cumbre: summit

* Cima: summit

* Canal: corridor, for intance "La Canal de Dobresengos", note it´s in femenine

* Canaleta: narrow corridor

* Hoces: canyon made by a river, for instance "Hoces de Vegacervera", "Hoces de Valdejeja"

* Valle: valley, for intance "Valle de Valdeón"

* Río: river, for instance "Río Torío"

* Horcado: narrow col between two peak, normally difficult to cross, for intance "Horcado de Pambuches"


Books I recomend.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montañas de León (in Spanish only)

Ramón Lozano, Santiago Morán
Everest Editorial
ISBN 84-241-0404-8

Description in detail of more than one hundred routes across the mountain of the León province, including the Picos de Europa Area and many others.

Book details (English) | Book details (Spanish)


50 montañas de la Cordillera Cantábrica (in Spanish only)

David Atela
Desnivel Ediciones
ISBN 84-96192-90-3

Really useful book about the most remarkable mountains in Cordillera Cantábrica massif. It doesn´t containt anything about Picos de Europa area so it lets it go along another interesnting and no so famous mountains.

Book details (Spanish)



Another remarkable peaks in the area

* Sancenas - 1912 m
* Pico Huevo del Curueño, Cueto Ancino - 1722 m
* Peña Valdorria
* Cueto Calvo
* Pico Bucioso - 1865 m
* Cueto Valporquero, Pico Cimero - 1581 m
* Bodón - 1960 m

Special thanks

I´d like to thank John Doyle, my friend and my flat partner for one year (I know you prefer to call it appartment dude!) for taking out all my mistakes and let everybody understand better my horrible English.

The Spanish corner :-)

Info in Spanish for Spanish Speakers & Spanish Studients:

Para todos aquellos que no tengan un inglés súper, y yo me incluyo, he decidido añadir esta sección. También para todos aquellos que estudian o están aprendiendo español.

Ningún montañero leonés que se precie puede dejar de visitar este lugar tan arraigado en la tradición montañera leonesa. No en vano, casi desde cualquier lugar de León es visible.
La ascensión no resulta en absoluto difícil y sus proximidades son un lugar habitual de excursionistas los domingos.
Afortunadamente, si quieres incrementar la dureza, y la dificultad técnica hay opciones muy interesantes a tu alcance, que pasan por aumentar tanto la distancia, como el desnivel, sin olvidarnos de fuertes pendientes.

Para una información más detallada os remito al texto en inglés. Si tuviéseis algún problema estoy a vuestra disposición para facilitaros toda la información que esté a mi alcance.

External Links

  • Cueva de Valporquero Official Web Site
    Information about this amazing cave not far from Fontún peak, if you are here don´t loose the opportunity to visit it (Avalaible only in Spanish)
  • Castilla y León Tourism Official Web Site
    You can find here many information about this region, as camp sites, accomodations, monuments, culture, nature, it could be a valuable tool to plan your holidays and trip along the mountains of this region. (Avalaible in many languages)
  • Web Site about Picos de Europa and the North mountains
    Information, photographies a lots of things about Picos de Europa, the tallest montains along Cordillera Cantabrica and the North of Spain. It counts with a valuable informations by the hand of the people on the forum, most of them experts in these mountains. I´m sure they can answer your question even in English, French or German (Available only in Spanish)
  • Cristino Torio´s web site
    Web about León Mountain by one of the most well known climber in the León province (Available only in Spanish)


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.