Cottonwood Wash

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.79400°N / 115.695°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the parking spot at about 1,220 meters, drop down a few meters and start heading southwest on a primitive road that heads straight for the Granite Mountains. The road follows the scenic Cottonwood Wash. This is true Mojave Desert country. You will pass by some old corrals about a quarter-mile from the trailhead. Continue southwest on the road as it gradually climbs up Cottonwood Wash. After about 1.5 miles, you will reach Cottonwood Spring at about 1,360 meters. There are some huge boulders along the road here.


Route Description

From the vicinity of Cottonwood Spring, start climbing southwest towards Point 2,061, the highpoint of the Granite Mountains. The route is rugged, rocky, and brushy, but there are no obstacles. A GPS would be useful here to track the correct route. We climbed the wrong gully and ended up on Point 1916 before we reached the true summit.



Hiking Distance: About 7 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: 860 meters.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Apr 9, 2009 10:40 am - Hasn't voted

access change

Here is the last communication from the folks who run the preserve (GMDRC): Even though Granite Peak is just inside the reserve boundary, we don't mind if people climb the peak, as long as you are accessing it from outside the reserve. You can get up to the peak via Willow Springs Basin, Budweiser Canyon, or Bull Canyon, all of which are beautiful areas. So DON'T use the DPS route (Cottonwood Wash), as indicated on SP currently (Apr 09, 2009). I specifically asked them about Willow Springs Basin, and that really looks like a better route.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.