Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.69324°N / 111.38048°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 8408 ft / 2563 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Deer Peak is an old volcanic cone now cover in juniper on the eastern edge of the region of ancient volcanic activity in and around Fishlake. It offers an interesting vantage point to see much of the western edge of red rock country in Utah from Capitol Reef in the south to the San Rafael Swell in the north.

Northern Profile
Northern Profile

Getting There

5.1 miles south of I-70 on Utah Highway 72. Drive 0.5 miles East on the dirt road to the 3rd fork in the road, which should be on the South side of the peak.

Route

From the stopping point next to where the fences converge, walk straight toward the summit. The trees and vegetation are spread out well enough to provide fairly easy passage. Be careful with the cryptobiotic soil crusts.

Round-trip Distance: 1.1 miles

Elevation Gain: 610 feet

Red Tape

The peak is on land managed by the BLM. No red tape.

When to Climb

Year-round.

Camping

There are some pull outs in the area that may serve as primitive camping sites. Otherwise, you'll have to travel south 20 miles to Elkhorn, Sunglow Campgrounds. 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Fishlake WildernessMountains & Rocks