Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.51979°N / 111.48187°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10597 ft / 3230 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The northernmost 10,000-foot mountain overlooking Capitol Reef National Park, Geyser Peak rises 4,000 feet above the deserts to the east. Forest fires destroyed much of the forest that capped the peak but young aspen are beginning the comeback of the woods. From the summit, the Tushar Mountains, Sevier Plateau, Wasatch Plateau, Henry Mountains, La Sal Mountains, and Abajo Mountains are visible.
Frosty Summit
Frosty Summit

Getting There

The dirt road (FR206) starts on UT-72 17.3 miles north of Loa, 24 miles south of I-70. Travel on a well-maintained dirt road for 3.1 miles. Take a left onto FR212 and continue one for 0.3 miles until a cattle guard and fence are encountered. Park here.

Route

Hike on the left side of the fence toward the north-northwest until it stops at a bottom of a large red rock outcropping. Meander and scramble onto the ridge above and follow for several hundred feet. Continue straight west from here through the burnt forest and young aspen. 

Round-trip Distance: 1.7 miles
Elevation Gain: 1026 feet

Red Tape

The area is managed by the US Forest Service. There are no fees or permits required. Please practice Leave No Trace ethics.

When to Climb

Year-round though the road is socked in by snow in the winter.

Camping

Elkhorn Campground is the nearing official camping area though there are several pullouts for primitive camping in the region. There is also Cathedral Valley Campground in Capitol Reef National Park, which is fairly primitive as well.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Fishlake WildernessMountains & Rocks