Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.10972°N / 8.00466°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10528 ft / 3209 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dri Horlini is a small rock ridge to the S of Weissmies. Unlike his big brother, which has a lot of visitors in summer, Dri Horlini is much less frequented. The ridge contains 3 small summits which are linked by a sharp and sometimes exposed ridge, which runs from NE to SW direction. The rock is very compact gneiss of superb quality. The traverse of it's 3 summits offers a nice excursion for experienced climbers, as wel as starting alpine rock climbers.


The SE Face of Dri Horlini is rather steep, varies in height from 50-200m and contains a dozen of alpine rock climbs. These routes have been recently re-equipped by the guardian of the Almagellerhütte, but it's recommend to carry some protection with you. Some of these routes are equipped for rappel.

Routes

  • Dri Horlini Traverse - AD (3 to 4 hours)

  • SE Face - Different routes with difficulties ranging from UIAA III-VII
The traverse is described well in Valais Alps East Selected Climbs by Swindin and Fleming. More information about the rock climbs can be found in plaisir West by Jurg von Kanel or at the Almagellerhütte.

Getting There

Starting point for any climb on the Dri Horlini is the Almagellerhütte (SAC - 2894m - 120 - Phone: 0041 (0)27 957 11 79). The hut is opened from mid June to late September and has a well equiped winter room. Phone: . The hut is reached in 3.5 hours from Saas Almagell or Saas Grund. It is recommended to make reservation during high season because the hut hosts a lot of climbers heading for Weissmies each day.

Camping

There are a number of camping sites in the Saas valley. These are just 2 options.

  • Camping Mischabel 0041 (0)27 957 29 61

  • Camping Am Kapellenweg 0041 (0)27 957 40 40

When To Climb

The Dri Horlini can be climbed from the moment that nearly all the snow on the ridge has melted till winter arrives again.

Red Tape

No red tape is required to climb the Dri Horlini. To all visitors, make sure it keeps that way. Off course it's recommended to be a member of an alpine club to be insured for rescue in case of an emergency.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Weissmies GROUPMountains & Rocks