East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.74920°N / 114.13°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Sun Valley heading south you will take a left on east fork of wood river road.

After you pass the small cluster of homes known as Triumph be looking for a fork to the left.

From here it is about 5 miles to the trailhead.

Route Description


From the trailhead you head northeast on a old road. Some people bike this section as it is long and flat.

You will follow this to about elevation 7,900 where you will head north and begin your climb.

The trail is fairly evident here and you will continue to climb towards the saddle between Hyndman and Old Hyndman. When you enter into the large part of the bowl (9800 ft) you may lose the trail, but as long as you continue towards the saddle you will be fine.

From the saddle the last portion is a unexposed scramble. I have found the rock on the right hand side to be a little more stable.

Rountrip is 12 miles and 5,000 vertical of climbing. This is the only route on any of Idaho's 12ers that is class II. All others are III or harder.

Essential Gear


Trekking poles will make the long hike a little more tolerable.

No need for any technical gear if you climb this route.


Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.