South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.74920°N / 114.13°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an alternative way to climb Hyndman. It is very similar to the east ridge (main) route. It allows you to avoid people though!

Getting There

Go east on the East Fork of Wood River Road.

After you pass the small cluster of homes known as Triumph be looking for a fork to the left. Take the left fork and drive 5 miles to the trailhead.

Route Description

(Same as East Ridge until you get high into Hyndman Basin)

From the trailhead you head northeast on a old road. Some people bike this section as it is long and flat.

You will follow this to about elevation 7,900 where you will head north and begin your climb.

The trail is fairly evident here and you will continue to climb towards the saddle between Hyndman and Old Hyndman. When you enter into the large part of the bowl (9800 ft) you may lose the trail, but as long as you continue towards the saddle you will be fine.

Between 2 lakes above 10,000 feet, make your way to the base of the south ridge around 10,200 feet. Follow it straight up to the summit.

Rountrip is 11 miles and 5,000 vertical of climbing (same vertical as east ridge, a bit less mileage).

Essential Gear

Potentially a bike for the road section. Trekking poles, water, 10 essentials.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.