East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.23640°N / 113.1941°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

From Hwy 28 take the well marked Charcoal Kiln Road which is 29 miles south of Leadore. Just before you reach the kilns, take a left at the sign that says Mammoth Canyon. The road marker says 183 on it. The Mammoth Canyon sign was torn down and laying on the ground when I went through, but on my way out I did place it up so that it could be read. Who knows how long that will last.
East RidgeBell Mountain


Travel 1.5 miles on this single track passing through two gates. Just past the second gate you will have to decide whether you want to drop down a very steep hill and then do a little trial and error to pick up the correct single track into Bell Mountain Canyon. You will eventually be stopped by a wooden motorized vehicle barrier, but it may be worth it to drive that far up Bell Mountain Canyon.

2WD all the way to the wooden vehicle barrier, but it may be 4WD to get back up the short, steep hill.

If you park before dropping down the steep hill, expect about a 10 - 10.5 mile round trip effort on foot.

Route Description

Proceed up Bell Mountain Canyon on the jeep track which will eventually fade out as it veers off to the right. From here you have some different options to gain the east ridge and it probably boils down to individual preference.

You can gain the rounded ridge immediately on your right where the jeep track fades out and follow it on up. Or stay low in the canyon and proceed as far as you want and pick your best spot to gain the east ridge.

Follow the east ridge which will eventually lead you into a large basin on Bell's southeast side. Traverse the basin to the far side aiming for the break up through the summit block characterized by distinctive white quartz rock. From the base of the summit block you have 600' of Class 3 climbing to reach the summit.
Summit blockSummit Block


Essential Gear

Some may prefer gloves for climbing the summit block.

Some may prefer trekking poles for traversing the basin.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.