Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.64570°N / 75.9799°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1425 ft / 434 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


East Rocks is a sister summit of the beautiful and famous Hawk Mountain . This summit is getting its own page because it is considered a seperate summit/destination for hikers and peakbaggers by the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary as it is not located within the park boundaries. Located 0.7 miles northeast of Hawk Mountain, the most common approach to this mountain is via the Appalachian Trail as it works its way north from The Pinnacle .

East Rocks rugged geography is very uncharacteristic of Pennsylvania, but makes all of us who long for the big ranges in the world quite happy. This ridge is mostly Class 2 with some very interesting and uncommon Class 3 sections that make life fun. The ridge is mostly a large knife edge of talus strewn slopes that continue on for about a mile. CharlesD said it best when he stated, "Rocksylvania at its Worst". That is what makes this mountain quite unique though.

The views are plentiful in all directions depending where you are on the ridge. Also, the popular Hawk Mountain Sanctuary is just to the west, down the ridge and if you are into bird watching, this place is for you. It is a bit tougher to get to and a lot more tiring, but it is well worth the effort. Also from this vantage point you'll get some interesting views of the River of Rocks which are two massive boulder fields left by the glaciers in the last Ice Age approximately 10,000-15,000 years ago. There is definitely no shortage of interesting sights at East Rocks and you will not regret a visit to this beautiful place.

Getting There


From New York City, New York:
3 hours

-Take I-78 WEST thru New Jersey to Pennsylvania
-Continue on I-78 thru Pennsylvania, passing Lehigh Valley exits
-To Exit 35 (Lenhartsville)
-On Rt. 143 NORTH, go 4 miles to Sunoco gas station
-Turn LEFT at blue Hawk Mountain sign onto Hawk Mt. Road
-Head up the mountain for approximately 6 miles until you reach an intersection with the Appalachian Trail. There is parking available here along the road. Head North on the A.T.

From Allentown, Pennsylvania:
35 minutes

-Take I-78 WEST
-To Exit 35 (Lenhartsville).
-On Rt. 143 NORTH, go 4 miles to Sunoco gas station on right
-Turn LEFT at blue Hawk Mountain sign onto Hawk Mt. Road
-Head up the mountain for approximately 6 miles until you reach an intersection with the Appalachian Trail. There is parking available here along the road. Head North on the A.T.

From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
1.5 to 2 hours

-Take Northeast Turnpike Extension (I-476)
-NORTH to Exit 56 (Lehigh Valley)
-To Rt. 22 WEST toward Harrisburg (becomes I-78 West)
-To Exit 35 (Lenhartsville)
-On Rt. 143 NORTH, go 4 miles to Sunoco gas station on right
-Turn LEFT at blue Hawk Mountain sign onto Hawk Mt. Road
-Head up the mountain for approximately 6 miles until you reach an intersection with the Appalachian Trail. There is parking available here along the road. Head North on the A.T.

From Harrisburg, Pennsylvania:
1 hour

-Take I-78 EAST
-To Exit 29B (Rt. 61 NORTH)
-Go 4 miles and turn RIGHT onto Rt. 895 EAST
-Go 2 miles; RIGHT at blue Hawk Mountain sign (Drehersville)
-Cross railroad tracks and Little Schuylkill River
-GO 2 1/2 miles over the top of the mountain (through Hawk Mountain Sanctuary) where you will intersect the Appalachian Trail. Head North on the A.T.

Red Tape


There are no fees or permits required to access this summit unless you are coming from Hawk Mountain's trailhead which requires a five dollar fee. There is parking available at the trailhead where the A.T. crosses the road and it is free. For wildlife and land conservation purposes, follow the “LEAVE NO TRACE” program and you will be fine.

When To Climb


This mountain is open at all times of the year. The only trouble you will have getting to the trailhead would be due to winter closures as a result of snow. For the most part though, this trailhead is accessible during all times of the year. The best time to do the hike would be in the fall because of the foliage. This is usually around the middle to the end of October. Spring is also a great time.

Camping


There is no camping in the area.

Mountain Conditions


For current and up-to-date weather conditions click on the link below!
weather


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.