Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.66400°N / 76.813°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1024 ft / 312 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Fisher Ridge is small when even compared to Pennsylvania's standards for a mountain. This mountain divides Dauphin and Northumberland Counties with the Susquehanna River being the western boundary. Fisher Ridge is the beginning of a rolling landscape which heads north from the Appalachian Chain. This area is mostly made up of rolling hills with short mountain ridges. There is only one major mountain chain north until you reach the northern mountains in PA. The ridge is the first mountain north of Mahantango Mountain and as a divider of counties, it also divides the landscape. The southern flanks of the ridge build up gradually to provide only about another 200 feet of elevation gain at the base. From the north though, this mountain is a little steeper and higher in elevation gain. Also, the most famous feature in which the ridge is known for, is the abundant amounts of fossils found on the northern slopes. There are many dug out sections of the ridge to the north along Route 147 in which you can still find many different kinds of fossils. These are remnants of the last ice age and the ridge, along with the part of route 15 near the PA Grand Canyon, is one of the last areas of which so many outcroppings of fossils exist. Fisher Ridge is a little known treasure that never receives much attention from hikers in the area. There is one long trail that heads from end to end of the east/west ridge. Fisher Ridge continues from the Susquehanna River east for about twenty miles to where it meets Hooflander Mountain. This ridge abounds with beautiful scenery and solitude if you're looking for a place to get away. Also, points along the ridge provide wonderful views north and south of the Susquehanna River Valley.
Fisher Ridge photo_id=98170

Getting There


To get to Fisher ridge you must access Route 147.
From Harrisburg:
Get onto 22/322 west from just north of Harrisburg. Continue for about fifteen miles until you get to the exit for Halifax and Route 225. From here you will continue over the mountain through Halifax and eventually to Millersburg all in a span of about fifteen miles. Continue straight through the square of Millersburg and north to Paxton for six more miles. Once through Paxton you'll come up to a bridge that crosses the Mahantango Creek. There is a sign that says Malta for a road which turns right before the bridge. This is where you'll want to go. Continue for another mile to Malta where you'll turn left onto Malta Road. This road will wind for another mile over a hill where you'll now be able to see Fisher Ridge. Once you get to the intersection, continue straight up Turkey Hill Road which will take you up the ridge and give you access to any point along the ridge. At the top of the road there is a parking lot in which to park. You'll be able to see the trail.
From Selinsgrove/Sunbury:
Head south on Route 147 following the signs to Millersburg. You'll travel through Herndon and Dalmatia. After about twenty miles from Sunbury you'll cross a bridge going into Paxton. The sign will say Malta, left, one mile. Turn off here. Continue for another mile to Malta where you'll turn left onto Malta Road. This road will wind for another mile over a hill where you'll now be able to see Fisher Ridge. Once you get to the intersection, continue straight up Turkey Hill Road which will take you up the ridge and give you access to any point along the ridge. At the top of the road there is a parking lot in which to park. You'll be able to see the trail.

Red Tape


There are no permits of any kind required to hike here. Parking is free and available at the top of the ridge for the trail. For conservation purposes, follow the "Leave No Trace" policy and you'll be fine.

When To Climb


Anytime of the year is good for this mountain. Fall is probably the prettiest though with the changing leaves.

Camping


There is no camping available on this mountain.

Mountain Conditions


For weather information go to:
weather.com
Type in Malta, PA for the region.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Central MountainsMountains & Rocks