Emmaline Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.54830°N / 105.6761°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive to Emmaline Lake Trailhead (see getting there section). Hike up Emmaline Lake Trail to Emmaline Lake.

Route Description


Circle counterclockwise around Emmaline Lake and then ascend the boulder field. Don't worry about gaining elevation. Instead head for the spire that dominates cirque wall. When you leave the boulder field behind, climb across the tundra slope toward Comanche Peak. As you get closer you should see two options. You can either opt for a class 2 route by following a tundra ramp to the south of Comanche Peak and then scrambling up a short class 2 section of boulders. Or, you can opt for a direct class 3 route. For this head to the base of the summit block and then begin the scramble baring to the right of the summit. There are countless options for this class 3 scramble so just take the one that looks most obvious to you.

Variations


Once you've made it to the summit, there are several options on how you might get back to the trailhead. You could retrace your steps. You could circle along the ridge to the south and east and summit Fall Mountain on your way to Mummy Pass Trail (mostly class 1 with a little bit of boulder hopping). Or you could circle halfway along the ridge toward Fall Mountain and then descend the ridge that bisects the large cirque (looks to be class 3 in places).

Essential Gear


If you hike during the summer, no special gear is needed just standard stuff for hiking in the mountains.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.