"Encounter Peak" (Unnamed 4,900')

"Encounter Peak" (Unnamed 4,900')

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 60.49820°N / 148.91161°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 4900 ft / 1494 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Large Crevasse
Encounter Peak aka Mount Encounter is situated on the Snow River Glacier in the Kenai Mountains of the Seward Ranger District of Alaska’s Chugach National Forest. This peak is unnamed, but has been nicknamed Encounter Peak or Mount Encounter due to a black bear encounter some years ago. In short, a group was near the summit and spotted a black bear on the lower glacier. A member of the group yelled in excitement gaining the bear’s attention. The bear ascended the peak and blocked the group’s egress from the mountain while eating their lunch.

This is not the most challenging peak to climb, however it does offer some large crevasses to navigate through and a very esthetic approach. This is a great area to explore and is a good expedition climb.

Getting There

From Anchorage, take the Seward Highway approximately 100 miles south to mile marker 23 and turn into the Ptarmigan Creek Campground.

The easiest approach is to start at the campground and take the Ptarmigan Creek Trail east approximately 7 miles until it ends at the far end of Ptarmigan Lake. This is a great place to camp for the first night. From there, you will have to continue off trail heading northeast to gain the glacier.
Seward B-6Seward B-6

From the eastern edge of Ptarmigan Lake, everything becomes wilderness. Be prepared for map and compass navigation. The topo is USGS Seward B-6 (Ptarmigan Lake is on the far left center side of the map, Encounter Peak is on the top right corner).

Falls Creek, located one valley to the north of Ptarmigan Creek Trail/Lake, is another option. There is a small unmaintained trail that runs up valley following the creek. However, there are some very steep sections of tundra that have to be traversed after coming over the pass at the end of the valley.

It is also possible to enter via one valley and return through the other.

The approach can take 2-3+ days, but the climb can easily be done in a day. For longer expeditions, helicopter resupply is available from a service located in Girdwood (link below).

Red Tape

Check in with the Forest Service to evaluate conditions and any special permit requirements prior to departure.

USDA Forest Service - Seward Ranger District
334 4th Avenue P.O. Box 390 Seward, AK 99664
907-224-3374

If entering from the Falls Creek area, be forewarned that there is a property owner that considers the road entry to the National Forest to be his as well. He has been rumored to carry a gun and threaten hikers. Pass quickly, quietly, and with respect. If conflicts arise, depart from the area and contact authorities.

Camping

Ptarmigan LakePtarmigan Lake
Snow River Glacier CampSnow River Glacier
Camping can be found on the east side of Ptarmigan Lake, which makes for a good rest point prior to heading to the glacier.

The best location for a base camp is on the Snow River Glacier. The glacier is predominately flat and great camping spots can be easily located.

External Links

Chugach National Forest – Seward Ranger District home page:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/pages_district/seward.html

Ptarmigan Lake Campground:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/cabin_web_page/seward_camping/ptarmigan.html

Alpine Air Alaska (helicopter resupply):
http://www.alpineairalaska.com/

Backcountry camping in bear country:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/wildlife/igbc/cwi/backcountry.htm

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Steve Gruhn - Jan 12, 2011 4:42 pm - Voted 6/10

Inlet Glacier

The glacier you refer to as the "Snow River Glacier" has been known locally as the Inlet Glacier since the 1960s. Also, this point is in the Kenai Mountains, not the Chugach Mountains.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Chugach MountainsMountains & Rocks