West Crevasse Field

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 60.49820°N / 148.91161°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Expedition
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Into the Mist
The expansive crevasse field on the peak offers some fun and tricky navigational challenges, as there are a number of large crevasses along the way to the summit. Roped travel is highly advisable and echelon travel will be required amongst the wider parallel crevasses.

Getting There

Seward B-6

Approaches from Ptarmigan Lake and Falls Creek are described on the main page. Note: The climb takes only a day, but the approach will take 2-3+. Plan accordingly.

Route Description

Approach the mountain from the south and head toward the west face. Ascend the mountain from the west crevasse field. Rope teams will have to travel in echelon to navigate amongst the wider parallel crevasses. Once near the summit, a small gully can be gained on the south side. Climb through the gully to gain the summit. The rock is very loose here, so use caution and be wary of rock fall.

Essential Gear

Bring standard glacier and crevasse rescue gear (including pickets and ice screws for rescue). Wands can be used for route marking and/or point-to-point navigation as whiteouts do occur.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.