Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 47.03009°N / 115.02171°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6200 ft / 1890 m

Trailhead for Illinois Peak

Note: Although Illinois Peak is directly on the Montana-Idaho border, the easiest access seems to be from the trailhead at Freezeout Pass in Montana. These driving directions are for reaching that location.

Exit I-90 at Superior, MT, (exit 47) and drive southeast on the frontage road. In approximately 1.3 miles, you will see a sign for FR 320 and Cedar Creek Canyon. The sign also lists “Gildersleeve Mine – 17.5 miles.”

Turn right (southwest) onto FR 320 and drive along with Cedar Creek on your left (south side of road). The road eventually turns to gravel. At the fork with FR 7865 veer left (south), staying on FR 320.

At the fork with FR 388, again go left (southwest) onto FS 388 which will eventually take you to Freezeout Pass. You will pass several mines, among them the Gildersleeve Mine, as you proceed up the switchbacks to the pass.

As of September 2004, there was a sign at the pass visible to southbound traffic pointing out Trout Creek Driveway and Trail 169.

External Links

For information about the climbers' route accessed from this trailhead, see the link included in the picture's description.
Obligatory summit shot with...The summit cairn on Illinois Peak.