Glärnisch - Vrenelisgärtli

Glärnisch - Vrenelisgärtli

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.00874°N / 9.01635°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9527 ft / 2904 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vrenelisgärtli is a fairly often visited summit of the Glärnisch-Massiv in the Glarner Alps. It's the highest summit in the northen range of these part of the Alps, so you will have a very good view to northeastern Switzerland and into the heart of the eastern Switzerland mountains. The hike is fairly easy but long: 2000 m from Klöntaler See to the summit, half of that height is the Glärnisch hut. In the upper part is a little glacier, so crampons, ice axt, and rope are advisable, allthough we were the only hikers (out of many!) who used that.

Getting There

My knowledge base on a hike (in 1972) beginning at the Klöntaler See, about 800 m, hiking up tu Glärnisch hut, about 1900 m, next day to the summit. Up to the glacier there are no problems, may be the glacier drew back very much within the last 30 years, may be there is almost nothing left. We found no crevasses, we were the only guys, who used a rope, the glacier is flat, not steep. At the end of the glacier is a presummit, to get from there to the Vrenelisgärtli you have to hike over a for experienced mountaineers not difficult snow ridge. The summit provides an excellent view all over northeastern Switzerland! Same way back, 2000 m height may cause some pain to your knees, down there the Klöntaler See waits for you and a cool bath! Photos below (from left to right): 1. The Vrenelisgärtli summit, in the foreground the snow ridge. 2. On the glacier. 3. Descending from the presummit to the snow ridge. 4. View from the snowridge to the 2000 m lower Klöntaler See - you might dream just to span out your wings and glide down ...

Red Tape

No permits, no fees (except the usual hut fees). There may be many, many mountaineers especially on weekends, so make a reservation for the night in the hut!

When To Climb

summer - July to September

Mountain Conditions

A website of Stuckis hike to the Glärnisch: www.karlsruhe-alpin.de/stucki/ Sorry, but it's only in german language ...

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Jan 9, 2006 8:34 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The link to Stuckis hike to the Glärnisch does not work.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Glarus AlpsMountains & Rocks