Schächentaler Windgällen

Schächentaler Windgällen

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.88777°N / 8.79166°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 9068 ft / 2764 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Schächentaler WindgällenFrom the east









The Schächentaler Windgällen overlooks the Klausenpaß near Altdorf within view of the Groß Windgälle and Clariden. Comprised of a long ridge with 2 summits, the higher peak is also labeled as Höch Windgälle on the topo map. The peak is usually climbed from the road in one day and can, in fact be done using public transportation from Zürich in one day, but you cannot tarry! As such, Walter Pause (renowned author of many alpine books from the 1950's to the early 1980's), considered Schächentaler Windgällen a Hausberg (home mountain) of Zürich.

The peak is composed of limestone and on the approach from the Ruosalper Chulm one crosses interesting karst terrain. It was first climbed by Huber and Imholz-Brunneler in 1883.
Schächentaler Windgällen 2764mFrom the east
Winter

Getting There

Swissgeo topo with route to...Local area and SE Ridge approach. Enlarge for detail

One can take the train via Luzern to Altdorf. From there take a Postbus east up the Schächental to the switchback immediately west of Klausenpass (1948m), at Balm. Or, drive and park at the pass or in the vicinty of the switchback, about 40 minutes drive from Altdorf. From hike the trail to the Ruosalper Chulm. At this saddle, bear west over karst terraces toward the mountain.

Another, longer approach starts from the village of Ulrigen, west of the pass, and goes up through Mettenen.

Approaching from Klausenpass

Schächentaler Windgällen, approach
Schächentaler Windgällen, approach
Scenic view of the Clariden...

Routes Overview

The Normal Route is the SE Ridge. Scrambling and easy UIAA II (YDS Class 4) climbing along the south shoulder and SE ridge brings one to the summit in about 31/2 hours from the pass. Chains have been placed at several points on the route.

A huge iron cross adorns the summit and there is a summit register. In August 2003, the register box was empty.

Climbing on the SE RIDGE

The SE Ridge of the...SE RIDGE
Phoebe Duke scrambling the...Scrambling on SE Ridge
Phoebe Duke climbing a more...The UIAA II section
Schächentaler Windgällen, SE ridgeEasy section high on SE Ridge


Traversierung über den NW-Grat und die SO-Kante Trip report / route description / photos (in German)

Accommodations

Summit of Schächentaler Windgällen 2764mSummit

There is no hut for this climb. There are numerous hotels and pensions in Altdorf and the villages along the pass road. Reservations are advised.

There is a hotel/restaurant near the pass.

Camping is also available.

Conditions

See Meteo Swiss for current weather, avalanche and other conditions throughout Switzerland.

The following webcam will give current conditions as well.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Glarus AlpsMountains & Rocks