Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.09981°N / 82.08051°W
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6189 ft / 1886 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Grassy Ridge Bald is located in the Roan Mountains which straddle the Tennessee/North Carolina border. The Roan Mountains are essentially a long ridge of mountains that roughly run from Roan High Bluff to Hump Mountain near Elk Park North Carolina. The Roan Mountains are best known for their spectacular rhododendrons which blum in late May to middle to late June (depending on the elevation).
Grassy Ridge Bald, located just off of the AT near Carvers Gap, is an exceptional East Coast mountain. The mountain offers splendid 360 degree views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. This is some of the most beautiful country in the eastern United States.
If you are looking for snow, Grassy Ridge Bald receives a considerable amount of the white stuff, especially between December & March.

Getting There

From Carvers Gap:
Go North on the Appalachian Trail (AT). After about 1/2 mi., you will reach Round Bald (5,826 ft.). Round Bald has excellent 360ยบ views of the Roan Mountains. From Round Bald, continue north on the AT to Jane Bald. After descending about 100 ft. from Jane Bald you will begin your fnal ascent (489 ft.) to the summit of Grassy Ridge Bald. Big Roan Ridge is 0.4 miles from Grassy Ridge Bald. There is a memorial plaque on the summit to Cornelious Rex Peake.

Red Tape

There are not permits required to access this mountain, nor are there any summit fees or parking passes required to park. There are no seasonal closures that I am aware of. The road to the top could be closed due to snowy weather in the winter but the conditions have to be exceedingly harsh.

When To Climb

Most people make the trip to Grassy Ridge Bald during the spring and summer and fall. However, if you want to experience crisp, clean air and snow, visit during the dead of winter when the crowds are down.

Camping

Roan Mountain State Park is located at the base of the Tennessee side of the mountain.
There are also AT shelters nearby that require reservations.

External Links



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
e-doc

e-doc - Jan 1, 2006 1:38 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Camp in saddle on Grassy, good water suply. Also camp on Round Bald. No water but not too far from road. Easy hike for an overnight with small kids. You can also camp in Engine Gap and the AT/Graasy Ridge turnoff. Water about 1-200 yards north on AT.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Sep 12, 2008 3:18 pm - Voted 8/10

Note on Roan Mountains

Hi Cortez. In the first paragraph, you mention the Roan Mountains extend from Roan High Bluff to Grassy Ridge Bald. In fact they extend twice that distance to Hump Mountain near Elk Park, NC. -Dan

Cortez

Cortez - Oct 16, 2008 11:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Note on Roan Mountains

Thanks for the note. I will make the appropriate corrections.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Roan HighlandsMountains & Rocks
 
Southern SixersMountains & Rocks