Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.14939°N / 7.69043°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 12664 ft / 3860 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Grunneghorn is a minor, but independent, peak of the Grunhorn massif. The normal route route to the Gross-Grunhorn passes trough the summit of the Grunneghorn at 3860 m but after the routes descends a steep rock ridge to a saddle at about 3800 m before a final rise to the 4044 m of the Gross-Grunhorn.

Getting There

The most practical location to climb Grunneghorn via its normal route is the Konkordia-Hutten. Several options are possible to get to this location:

1. From the East, as part of a long traverse from Grimsel trough tbe Oberaarsee lake, Finsteraarhorn-Hutte and Grunhornlucke col (at least three days).

2. From the South, by car or railway via the village of Fiesch (via Brig, Furka-Pass or Furka-Tunnell). From Fiesch take the Eggishorn cableway to its middle station (Chuebodenstafel, 2221 m) and then trek to the Märjelensee lake. From here the Konkordia-huttes is at about 8 km (about 5 hours from Chuebodenstafel.

3. From the North, taking the expensive train to the Jungfraujoch train station (3454 m) and then trekking south-bound across the Jungfraufirn glacier. This has to be descended keeping close to its eastern edge (just under the slopes of the Trugberg) and then taking a East curve below the ice-falls of the Ewidgeschneefeld to get to the Gruneggfirn and from there directly to the iron ladders of the hut (about 4 hours of trekking from the Jungfraujoch, less on ski in winter and spring time).

4. From the West, via the small village of Fafleralp (connected with frequent buses to the railway station of Goppenstein) and an overnight stop at the Hollandia-hutte (2 long days of trekking from Flafferalpen).

All the locations above are connected with efficient and frequent trains and bus replacement services from Zurich, Bern and Brig.

Red Tape

There are no restrictions at all.

Camping and huts

No restrictions apply for camping. The area is classified as an UNESCO site therefore if it is chosen to camp a low profile should be adopted.
If it is planned to climb to Grunneghorn via its normal route the most practicle hut is the Konkordia-Hutten. All the informations about the hut, its history, location and related links are available at the excellent Thomas Zehring's Gross Grunhorn summit-post page.

External Links

The situation at the Konkordia-Hutten can be monitored in real time at the following website.

www.wettercam24.ch