Guanella Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.61700°N / 105.66°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the shortest route up to Gray Wolf Mountain. 

Getting There

All year: I 70 to Georgetown - Exit 228 - CR 381 to parking area right below Guanella Pass. 

In Winter: road is plowed right above TH Naylor Lake - adding 1.5 miles one way  to your trip.

Summer/Fall:

from the South - CR 62 via US 285 (Grant). Closed depending on snow fall from potentially Nov to June.

Route Description

From the parking lot hike on "Mount Bierstadt Trail" to Scott Gomer Creek. Right before the trail crosses the creek, turn  left on a trail following the North side of the creek. The trail will eventually cross onto the Southern side of Scott Gomer Creek, leading thru dense willows up the valley.

When you get close to the West Face of Mt Spalding, cross the creek and head north. A faint trail (marked with cairns) is leading up the valley below Gray Wolf Mountain. It is a simple walkup to the summit after you left the last willows behind.

 

Essential Gear

Hiking boots & walking sticks 

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.