South Chicago Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.61700°N / 105.66°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Denver take I-70 to Idaho Springs. Take the Mount Evens Exit and follow this road till you get to South Chigago Creek. There is a sign that reads "Dead End". Follow this road back for about 1.5 miles till it ends. Here you will reach the South Chicago Creek Trailhead.

Route Description


Rount Trip: about 10 Miles.
Elevation Gain: 3,600 Feet.
Take the South Chicago Creek trail back for about 1.5 miles. You will reach an old settlement. From here the trail keeps heading up for a short distance then comes to an end. From here keep heading further back into the valley. There are faint trails that head to treeline. About at 11,600 feet you will finally reach timberline.
After looking at the topomaps the most logical routes looks like it would head right up the center ridgeline, but this is not so. The whole center of this wide valley is covered in thick brush. Stay to the left of it and skirt arount it. You will want to head to the let ridge and end up conecting in with the same route you would take if you started up Echo Lake. From here the route is quite obviouse as you stay on the ridge all the way up to the top of Grey Wolf.

Essential Gear


If you have a GPS it makes it easier to get back to where the trail ends in the forest. Not required, but deffinatly a plus.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.