Hayden Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.76810°N / 110.8332°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The trailhead for the hike is the Higline Trailhead located along State Highway 150 33.2 miles east and north of Kamas, or you could drive south from Evanston.

Route Description

This route is easier than the Direct West Face route, but tougher than the Hell Hole Basin route. The route passes over he summit of Kletting and A-1 Peaks. From Hayden Pass head almost due north towards Kletting Peak. It is tempting to gain elevation, but avoid gaining much altitude until you are due west of the low point between Kletting and Hayden Peaks. If you gain altitude too quickly, traversing the slope is more difficult and time consuming. There are many fallen logs to pass over. One due west of the low point between Kletting and Hayden peaks, scramble east up to it. This is the toughest and steepest part of the climb. Once on the saddle, follow the ridge north to the summit of Kletting Peak. From the summit of Kletting Peak, follow the ridge east to A-1 Peak. There are many teetering boulders along the way.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

A-1 PeakRoutes