West Face Direct over Kletting Peak to A-1 Peak

West Face Direct over Kletting Peak to A-1 Peak

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.76810°N / 110.8332°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The best place to park for this route is at the Kletting Peak Historical Monument located near mile-marker 37 on the east side of State Highway 150. This is about 38 miles east and north of Kamas or 40 miles south of Evantson.

Route Description

This is a variation of the South Ridge from Hayden Fork Route, over the top of Kletting and to A-1. This is the shortest route to Kletting and A-1 Peaks, but it is probably the most difficult route. This is for those who like their physical medicine strong! From the historical monument, hike down the slope to the east, cross the Hayden Fork creek, and scramble up the west face of Kletting Peak all the way to the summit. This is easier said than done. The difficulty is only class 2-3, but the obstacles start right away. There are many fallen logs and boulders to scramble through right from the beginning, and until you reach timberline. One you’re above the creek, you can see Kletting Peak in front of you the entire way, but it takes much longer for the climb than the distance indicates. Once on Kletting Peak, the route to A-1 Peak is visible the entire way. Follow the ridge to A-1Peak. There are many teetering boulders along the way. Despite the realitively short disttance of the route, this is a very long day climb. There are no good campsites along the way.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

A-1 PeakRoutes