High Stile

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.60707°N / 3.14484°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2644 ft / 806 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

High Stile (Grey Crag)
Great Gable Summit View
High Stile lies between the valleys of Buttermere and Ennerdale and, taken with its neighbouring peaks, forms a wonderful ridge with steep precipitous crags dropping down to the beautiful lake of Buttermere to the north east and across to the head of Ennerdale and the mountain of Pillar to the south. The ridge consists of three main peaks. The highest in the centre being High Stile with the slighly lower High Crag lying to the south east and Red Pike to the the north west.

As well as a hiking area there are exellent climbs in the Birkness Coombe(Burtness Coombe on some maps) area and in particular Grey Crag. The rock of Grey crag is quick drying and offers a sequence of high quality climbs directly to the summit of High Crag with views down to Buttermere.

Getting There

High Stile Route
From Keswick take the B5289 signposted Borrowdale and follow this over Honistor Pass to Buttermere village. Parking can be found in and around Buttermere as well as Gatescarth Farm on the road leading into Butteremere village.

Red Tape

No red tape to speak of.

Camping

There are plenty of campsites around Buttermere and Borrowdale as well as B&B, Hostel and Hotel accomodation.

External Links

to follow

Route

Scale Force
Crummock Water
Buttermere
If parking in Buttermere village follow the footpath to the west side of Buttermere lake past the hotel and over the footbridge of the stream (Buttermere Dubs) into Burtness Woods. Turn left and follow the the path along the south side of Buttermere. There are beautiful views across the lake to Fleetwith Pike and Dale Head. When you reach Peggy's Bridge, on the far east side of the lake,turn right (South)and up the steep path heading through Scarth Gap Pass. From Scarth Gap turn right (West) and head up the stepped path to Seat. Here there are wonderful views over to Haysacks, Kirk Fell, Great Gable, Pillar and the distant eastern fells. Continue heading west and one final pull up the steep slopes of High Crag brings you to the summit cairn. The hard work is now over with a beautiful ridge walk heading further west over to High Stile itself and then onto Red Pike.
From Red Pike follow the path down to Scale Force and then down to Crummock Water and a return to Buttermere.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Lake District (UK)Mountains & Rocks