Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 29, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Baden-Powell Winter Ascent 12-29-06

I made a successful summit attempt on 12-29-06, round trip 5 hours 30 minutes. There was a significant amount of snow on the mountain and the trail was well covered.

The last 1/2 to 3/4 mile to the summit, the trail completely disappeared and I had to scramble. Toward the top, snowshoes would have worked much better than crampons.

If I hadn't been very familiar with the trail, the last section would have been difficult. I still had to just trudge waist-deep for quite a distance. At the top, it was so cold and windy that I thought I would get frostbite while shooting a photo. I think I only spent about 5 minutes up there and then hustled down.

I only passed one guy while I was going down, so I pretty much had the mountain to myself (it was a Friday). It looked like he was planning to spend the night and he didn't appear to have crampons. I definitely would not have made it without them.

I'd recommend the trail if you have crampons and are comfortable on snow/ice. Good weather is melting the snow at the lower elevations, so if there isn't any new cover soon the trail should get easier.
Good Luck!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Baden-PowellTrip Reports