Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.09640°N / 71.4705°W
Additional Information Elevation: 485 ft / 148 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Update 5/8/11



(Update 5/8/11) The Hooksett Pinnacle Property is now owned by the town of Hooksett. There is no access from Ardon Dr. which was the former entrance to the Pinnacle. The entrance is from Pinnacle Street which will make the trip a little longer but at least the good news is that it is NOW LEGAL TO SUMMIT HOOKSETT PINNACLE AGAIN!!! (special thanks to hornemw)

(Update 3/3/11) It appears that Hooksett Pinnacle which was on the private estate of John Locke is in the process of becoming a public property. In 2004 there was a proposal that would include adding trails along the base and the summit of Hooksett Pinnacle. For more information please check out this website about the what is going on with Hooksett Pinnacle.(Special thanks to tomparnell ).

(Update 10/23/10)The trail now appears to be open again. It was closed due to construction in the area. If someone knows of further details. Please PM me (Special thanks to gallahan ).

(Update 10/15/05)The trail to Hooksett Pinnacle is currently surrounded by no trespassing signs and no parking sign. I am currently in contact with the town hall and the police to find out the status of this summit. (Special thanks to new member bredta )

Overview

Hooksett Pinnacle

Hooksett Pinnacle (3/29/04).


Not all of New Hampshire’s Treasures come in large sizes. Such is the case for Hooksett Pinnacle a small summit that is located between Concord and Manchester. This little but legendary pinnacle features a classic view of the older center of Hooksett. The view of this small has inspired the AMC to include in their Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide as a hiking destination.

Hooksett Pinnacle (3/29/04)More views


The biggest writer of note though to summit Hooksett Pinnacle was Henry Thoreau. He write about the classic view in his book A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers (Information from AMC Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide, P.116). He describes the summit as “ a scene of rare beauty and completeness, which the traveler should take pains to behold”.

Hooksett Pinnacle (3/29/04)



Luckily though you don’t need to go through pains to summit this little peak. A short moderate pitched trail at 1 mile roundtrip can take you to this legendary summit with its classic views of villages and other hills in the Merrimack Valley. Or there are plenty of rocks to boulder up and down if you wish for more of a challenge. Once on top though, you will realize that what little effort it took you to reach the summit will be rewarded ten folded by the classic and elegant view.

It should be noted that Hooksett Pinnacle is now own by the town of Hooksett and is now legal to summit from Pinnacle Street. The direction in the old Southern New Hampshire AMC Guide is now incorrect and the Ardon Drive entrance is now off limits!


Getting There

VIA STANDARD PATH: From I-93 North. Get off on Exit 9 (3A) and head north (right) toward Hooksett. Stay on route for roughly 5 miles until you reach what is the old center of Hooksett (All buildings are older than 50 years). You want to make a left on Pinnacle Street just before Main Street. As of 2020 there is now parking on Pinnacle Street (lukezoom)

Red Tape

Read updates above.

When To Climb

This little gem can be summitted any time of the year. It is especially fun in winter to snowshoe up the trail.

Camping

There are no sign say it is not allowed however out of respect for those who live nearby as well as the fact it is so easy to get up and down, I wouldn't recommend camping there.

Mountain Conditions

To be totally honest there is no need to check conditions due to the fact that this is such a short and easy hike that can be done at anytime of the year. Check the weather of Concord though before you hike.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

hornemw - May 2, 2011 6:52 am - Hasn't voted

Update 2011 for Pinnacle in Hooksett, NH

The Pinnacle property is now owned by the Town of Hooksett. There is no legal access to the property from Ardon Dr. DO NOT ENTER THE PROPERTY HERE! Access IS allowed from Pinnacle St. though the only place to park is on the side of the Pinnacle St.

EastKing

EastKing - May 8, 2011 10:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Update 2011 for Pinnacle in Hooksett, NH

Thank you for the update. I am changing my page.

lukezoom - Mar 29, 2021 8:45 am - Hasn't voted

Update 2021 Parking lot on Pinnacle St.

There is now a parking area named Pinnacle Park that has an informational kiosk and easy access to the trails.

EastKing

EastKing - Mar 30, 2021 3:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Update 2021 Parking lot on Pinnacle St.

Thank you for the update. I will be putting on the page.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Concord-Manchester AreaMountains & Rocks