Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.99870°N / 71.4864°W
Activities Activities: Toprope
Additional Information Elevation: 450 ft / 137 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Winter view of Rock Rimmon from Manchester

Summer view of Manchester from Rock Rimmon

Overview

Welcome to one of the lowest true summits on SummitPost. Why would anyone write about such a small summit?

Rock Climbing
EastKing Rock Climbing

The reason is because this summit is home to a massive varieties of ascents, home to a nearly 360 degree panorama, and home to rock climbs that vary in class from 5.3 to 5.12. No, Rock Rimmon is not just a flat point that is the highest in a certain area. It is a legitimate summit. And Rock Rimmon is truely a summit many much higher mountains in the East truly wish they could be. This rock is famous with the locals in the fact that it is a playground to bouldering, rock climbing, as well as just taking a relaxing small path to the top. There are dozens of toprope routes, lead climbs and scrambles on this rock. The massive 150 foot cliffs of the ledge add to a dramatic backdrop to the west side of Manchester, NH. The view from the top is very unique in that towards the south and southeast the entire city of Manchester opens up, while to the northeast New Hampshire southern hill country shows its own unique beauty. To the west rise the Uncanoonacs, and there foothills. Not much of nature view, but an impressive view none the less. And this is one of few summits where the cliffs leads right to the summit(ie. great toproping here if you can deal with the potential for glass on some of the holds)

Rock Rimmon Apr. 10th.
Rock Rimmon Apr. 10th.


How many other summits in the east carry such impressive rock climbing, scenic overlooks, and wide variety of bouldering and hiking? Not to shabby for a summit under 500 feet.






Getting There

From I-293 NORTH: Get off of Amoskeag Bridge exit 6. Stay left and make a left. Go past Dunkin Donuts on you right. Make a right on Bremer Street, IMMEDIATELY past the small used auto dealer. Go up the turning hill and straight through Coolidge Street. Make a right on Rimmon Street just before Beaulieu's Mini Market. Take Rimmon Street to Mason Street. Make a left on Mason Street and continue down Mason Street where Rock Rimmon will stand right before you. Stay on Mason Street and the parking area for Rock Rimmon Park lies on your right past the elementary school.

FROM 1-293 SOUTH: Get off on Exit 6. Once off the ramp get into the very left lane heading away from the Amoskeag Bridge (over the river). Stay left at the stoplight. Once you cross over the I-293 Bridge Street make another left at the light and immediately get into the right lane (Don't go on the ramp towards Nashua or Boston or go back around the circle. From there you on the route which you would have been on had you made a left from I-293 North. From there follow the North directions.





Red Tape

This is a city park. The city park has a curfew at 9 p.m. No parking pass or anything else required.

When To Climb

Rock Rimmon after late season...
Rock Rimmon after late season snow

Best time to hike up Rock Rimmon is winter. I have been up this Rock many time after winter and have had the summit to myself for a long period of time. Hiking up during the other seasons is good to except there will be others on top as well.

Because this park is located in a city, hiking alone at night is not recommended. Manchester, NH is one of the safest city in the U.S. over 100,000 people. However caution and some common sense is needed. Also there is a 9 p.m. cerfew, and tickets run very high if you are caught. 

Rock Climbing
Rock Climbing


For rock climbing, any of the warmer months is fine. Rock Rimmon is a good local climb because it faces the sun, and if even on dry cool days in October or November this can be an enjoyable toprope or lead climb. If you live in Southern New Hampshire and it is sunny, warm enough for rockclimbing and no snow around than Rock Rimmon is always a good call. For all thrill seekers there is a legitimate 5.12 here. Unfortunately for ice climbers, I haven't seen much in the way of ice develop on this peak.


Camping

No camping is allowed on Rock Rimmon. I wouldn't dare do it illegally here due to immediate proximity city and enforcement. However there are a ton of hotels and Bed and Breakfasts in the city.

Mountain Conditions

Manchester Park and Recreation Department (603) 624-6565

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Concord-Manchester AreaMountains & Rocks