Karleskogel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.93804°N / 10.92211°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10194 ft / 3107 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Karleskogel is located in the northeast part of the Weisskamm in the ötztaler Alps. The mountain has a fine sharp ridge that separates the Rettenbachtal / Rettenbachvalley and the Pitztal / Pitzvalley. The north side of the Karleskogel is bounded by the Pitztalerjoch (2996m) and south by the Rettenbachjoch (2990m).

From the summit you have a beautiful view to both the ötztaler Alps and the Pitztaler Alps. Especially the view towards the Wildspitze is really nice.

The summit is quite popular by climbing courses. Most courses stay at the nearby Braunschweiger Hut. There isn't a very easy way to reach the summit, so you won't find to many tourists on the summit. Many climbers make a traverse of the mountain, that offers great rock climbing at moderate difficulty (UIAA III). The mountain can easily be climbed in half a day from the Braunschweiger Hut or from the Rettenbach parking lot.

Getting There

In general:

To Mittelberg (Pitztal)
* By car:On the Inntalautobahn A-12 take the driveway Pitztal. Through the Pitztal until Mittelberg, that lies at the end of the valley.
* By public transport: take the train to Imst. From there you go by bus to Mittelberg. (see link at the bottom for a time tabel)

To Sölden (ötztal)
* By car: on the Inntalautobahn A-12 take the driveway Ötztal. Follow the main road through the ötztal for about 35 kilometers untill you get to Sölden.
* By public transport: take the train to the ötztal bahnhof. From there you go by bus to Sölden. (see link at the bottom for a time tabel)

To the Braunschweiger Hut (2759m): Thanks to Sebastian Hamm!

* 1. from Mittelberg in 3 h on a marked hiking way. Nothing special or difficult. Simple hiking.
* 2. from the Gletscherbahn-middle-station in 1 h: Easy glacier walk. This is the shortest ascent. You cannot miss the hut.
* 3. from Sölden over the Pitztaler Jöchl on a marked way in 5,5 h; you go from Sölden to the Rettenbachtal and to the Rettenbachglacier (to the highest parking place on the glacier route at 2800m). You climb up the northeastern glacierpart to the Pitztaler Jöchl. Now you turn right, with W-direction, from the Jöchl in 20 min. to the Niedere Karlesschneid and in zigzag down to the hut. From the parking place in Rettenbach in 2 h.

To the Parkinglot Rettenbachjoch (2780m):

* From Sölden take the Ötztaler Glacierroad. The road is almost 15kilometers long and takes you from 1377 meters to the Rettenbach parking lot at almost 2800 meters above sea level.

Attention: toll road! For prices see: This page

Routes

Normal way from the Braunschweiger Hut:

From the Braunschweiger Hut on a marked path to the Pitztalerjoch (2996m). First on snow south to the start of the northrigde of the Karleskogel, follow the ridge to the summit. Easy rock climbing and scrambling at the northridge.

Northridge: PD/WS, rock climbing passages up to UIAA II. The climb takes about 2-3 hours.

Traverse (south-north) from the Rettenbachjoch to the Pitztalerjoch:

From the Braunschweiger Hut on a marked path to the Rettenbachjoch (2990m). Then follow the southridge to the summit. Try to stay at the ridge! The rockquality is the best at the ridge. There are a few bolts in place. From the summit follow the northridge down. Beautifull traverse!

Traverse: AD/ZS, rock climbing up to UIAA III. The climb takes about half a day.



Maps and Guidebook

Maps:

* Alpenvereinskarte 30/6, 1:25 000
* Alpenvereinskarte 30/5, 1:25 000
* Österreichische Karte 173, 1:50 000
* Freytag & Berndt Karte WK 251, 1:50 000

Guidebook:

* Walter Klier, Ötztaler Alpen. Alpenvereinsführer. 14th ed. Munich 2006.
ISBN 978-3-7633-1123-1

External Links

Digital map:
www.austrianmap.at

Braunschweiger Hut:
www.braunschweiger-huette.at

ötztaler glaciarroad:
www.soelden.com

Pitztaler Glacier:
www.pitztaler-gletscher.at

Public Transport (train):
www.oebb.at

Time Tabel bus:
www.postbus.at

Weather in Austria:
www.oeav.at

Avalance bulletin Tirol:
www.lawine.at

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

WeisskammMountains & Rocks