Kleine Scheidegg

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.59236°N / 7.94790°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kleine Scheidegg with a train leaving for JungfraujochK.Scheidegg

This is the shortest route to climb Lauberhorn but I don't consider this as normal. It's the route of all the people but the mountaineers that enjoy the mountain without need of trains or cable railways will find a nice excursion from Grindelwald or Wengen. I think that not all the people that read SP are mountaineers for which I had the obligation as the author of the page to write this route. When a mountain is so easy to reach from a train also deserves that the not habitual people can have this satisfaction to have an alpine summit.
For mountaineers consulting before the route Grindelwald or Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg.

Time: 1h
Slope: 360m

Getting There

Options:
-Walk up from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg (3h50min)
-Walk up from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg (2h45min)
-Cable way to Mänlichen and walk up to Kleine Scheidegg (1h20min)
-The train: you take the train in the station of the middle of Grindelwald. The train go to Kleine Scheidegg but as well, if you want, you can follow to next station Eigerglettcher. From here you need payment to follow across the Eiger to Junfraujoch. See Jaunfaubahn for more information.

Route Description

Ridge of LauberhornLast ridge

We leave behind it concurred Kleine Scheidegg (a full nightmare of tourists) in direction east. Behind of the restaurant Eigernordwand in left side you can find the signal of Lauberhorn.
The path is evident all the time following initially easy walk-ups among the green hillside. Athough the top is in front of us with hard slope is better to avoid it for the paths that go toward the left (southwest). After some zig-zag we reach the area of Lauberhornschulter (2317m) with bar and cable ways of ski resort. We turn to right (North) and we follow a little path under the SW ridge (if you want you can walk over the wide ridge without difficulties as well, the impressive fall toward Wengen is avoided in many places by the placement of metallic fences). Before the summit it can see a presummit with interesting views of the summit (it's recommendable). After the last ramp we reach the summit of Lauberhorn with some seats and indicative plate. The landscape is wonderfull with the views of Wetterhorn, Schreckhorn, Lauteraarhorn, Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, Breithorn,... and the villages of Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald,...

Essential Gear

Nothing special in summer. In Kleine Scheidegg you had restaurants, shops,...
In winter you must use the crampons and a ice-axe

External Links

Junfraubahn-hiking short description of hikes from K.Scheidegg. Interesting map.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.