Looking Glass Rock Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.30400°N / 82.794°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


There is only one official hiking trail to the summit: Looking Glass Rock Trail. It's 3.2 miles in length and climbs about 1800 feet. Some sections are very steep. I lost count of the switchbacks, but there are very many.

Route Description


This trail is just a straightforward hike. A good part of it is very steep and, as I mentioned, there are a lot of switchbacks. The first part of the trail parallels a creek and one crosses a few small springs on the way to the summit. Most of the ridge is very dry, so take plenty of water along. You'll need it. This is a heavily used trail and there is some trail degradation, cutting of switchbacks, and erosion. Stay on the trail to prevent further damage.


Essential Gear


Just good hiking boots, and plenty of water. I would suggest a hiking staff.


Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.