Lost Rat Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.63390°N / 105.8169°W
Additional Information Route Type: Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Via Stevens gulch, but keep low to the base of the climb. Lost Rat is the obvious couloir to the left, on the lower ridge of Grays.
When you get to the sign that leads into Torreys Basin on the main trail, break off and head left toward the obvious snow couloir on the lower slopes of Grays
The approach is about 1.5 miles. Route finding is easy.

Route Description


Moderate to easy angled snow. Lots of rock fall. when you get to the Y, 3/4's way up, stay to your left and top out on the ridge which leads to summit of Grays. There is 800 ft of good snow climbing.
Usually a cornice at the top. The couloir melts out at the top so be prepared for a scree finish. Pop out of the couloir at about 13,600ft and see the throngs of Grays hikers looking at you quizzically w/all that climbing stuff!!
Either walk the ridge to the top of Grays or just drop down and gain the main Grays trail and head back to your car.

Essential Gear


Ice axe, crampons and Helmet.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
pcorridon

pcorridon - Jan 14, 2004 2:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

At the "Y" mentioned in the route description, it's possible to go right and climb an interesting, narrow, snow filled chute that necks down to about 5 feet at it's narrowest. The disadvantage of this route is it ends further from the top than the left hand route, so further to hike if you're headed for the top, but closer to the bottom it you're not! :)

Zeke

Zeke - Aug 26, 2004 10:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

I wondered about going right, thanks for the info P. Ill give it a go this coming year.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.