Monte Capanne Via Ferrata from Monte Perone

Monte Capanne Via Ferrata from Monte Perone

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.77328°N / 10.17118°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: EEA
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Monte Capanne 1019 m is the highest mountain on the island of Elba, the largest one among the various islands (Capraia, Montecristo, Giglio, Giannutri, Gorgona and Pianosa) of the Tuscan archipelago, together with which it forms the Parco Nazionale dell'Arcipelago Toscano. The island, belonging to the Tuscany region, is located in the province of Livorno and is divided into seven municipalities: Portoferraio, Porto Azzurro, Campo nell'Elba, Capoliveri, Rio, Marciana Marina, Marciana.

 

Monte Capanne
Monte Capanne

 

The western part of the island, where Monte Capanne is located, is mainly mountainous. The area on the slopes of Monte Capanne is characterized by Mediterranean scrub and large granite rocks. From the top on clear days you can admire a vast panorama that sweeps over various islands of the Tuscan archipelago and even Corsica and for this reason, as well as for the great natural beauties, the mountain is very popular. To reach the summit of Monte Capanne there are numerous paths and even a two-seater cable car that starts from Marciana. The itinerary proposed on this page, starting from the Monte Perone car park at an altitude of 600 meters, is not among those with the greatest difference in altitude, but offers the possibility of climbing to the summit by overcoming an interesting via ferrata.

 

Sea landscape from the summit of Monte Calanche (2)
Sea landscape from the summit of Monte Calanche (2)
The stretch of Via Ferrata to Monte Calanche
The stretch of Via Ferrata to Monte Calanche

Getting There

Start of the route to Monte Capanne from Monte Perrone
Start of the route to Monte Capanne from Monte Perrone

 

 

 

 

Elba island can be reached by ferry from Piombino Porto, situated on the coast of Tuscany South of Livorno, to Portoferraio or Porto Azzurro. The ferry takes about 1 hour. Monte Perone is a mountain hill located along the road joining Il Poggio near Marina di Campo and Marciana. 

Route Description

Summit of Monte Capanne from Monte Perone 

Difficulty: EEA
Difference in level: 600 m from Monte Perone

 

Beautiful route that allows you to reach the highest peak of the island via an interesting and easy Via Ferrata 

 

From the parking lot in locality Monte Perone (at about 600 meters above sea level), a col on the road that connects Marina di Campo and Marciana. The route starts on the mule track that goes away to the left, climbing up into the pine forest towards the West. There are signposts to Monte Capanne and path number 5. It is the Butterfly Path, a path with panels illustrating the various types of butterflies. After a while the track comes near a gate that you avoid on the right entering the shrub. Once on a first hill after a steep stretch, the mule track becomes a path keeping the watershed crest. You arrive at a crossroads.

Approaching the Via ferrata to Monte Capanne
Approaching the Via ferrata to Monte Capanne
Sea landscape from the summit of Monte Calanche
Sea landscape from the summit of Monte Calanche

Here, if you want to do the crossing of Monte Calanche, continuing on the ridge along the Via ferrata, it is necessary to keep left following the path number 00 for expert hikers, where you will overcome sections with metal ropes and sections of easy climbing (I+). Leave on the right the path that instead continues slightly downhill to the right (N), then crossing the hillside (GTE 5), which is the itinerary that we will follow on our return. Our route now coincides with the trail marker 00 of the ridge. Soon we reach the first metal cables on large granite slabs, along an itinerary that will lead us to cross the entire ridge that from here makes an arc to descend to the Passo Filicaie. The ridge is made up of large blocks of rough granite. You pass some fore-summits and saddles along the crest on slabs and granite dihedrals equipped with cables, finally reaching the small cross located on the beautiful and panoramic top of Monte Calanche, where a vast 360° panorama opens in front of you. 

 

 

Monte Calanche panorama
Monte Calanche panorama

 

To the right it appears Monte Capanne with the rocky crest facing East that we will travel to reach the summit. It is an excellent observation point and you can dominate almost the entire island with the exception of the portion hidden by Monte Capanne.  From the cross of Monte Calanche we continue to walk along the ridge which now bends sharply to the right, reaching downhill a marked saddle with signposts, Passo Filicaie 820 m. To the right, slightly downhill, you can continue along the easy path 5. Aim instead for the summit of Monte Capanne taking uphill the East ridge. The first section is equipped with metal cables for the first 100 meters along granite slabs.  Then, following the obvious red-white trail markers, first on one side and then on the other of the ridge itself, you gain altitude by climbing easily the granite blocks. Quickly you reach the summit antennas.

 

Summit of Monte Capanne
Summit of Monte Capanne

 

Descent

Turn right past the antennas, reaching the refreshment point at the arrival of the chair lift going up from Marciana. Continue downhill along the path of blocks that leads to the obvious saddle that separates it from a panoramic pyramidal tower. From here, always along path number 5, turn right and descend the valley with various bends. At a crossroads, follow path 5 which still descends halfway up the hill, cutting the SW face of the mountain and then continuing uphill, always on blocks, in the direction of the Filicaia Pass. Shortly before reaching the Filicaia pass, a path branches off to the left, entering a dense forest and crossing the slope to rejoin the ascent route at the first fork with signposts. Here take to the left to return to the Monte Perone car park.

 

Descent from Monte Capanne
Descent from Monte Capanne
Forest trail near Filicaia, Monte Capanne
Forest trail near Filicaia, Monte Capanne

Essential gear

Normal hiking gear and Via Ferrata kit.

Red Tape

In Monte Perone, free camping is prohibited as it is a park.

When to climb

It is possible to do this itinerary all year round.

Where to stay

Campsites in Marina di Campo. B&B in Marina di Campo and Marciana.

Meteo

Meteo Toscana



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.