Monte Carpegna

Monte Carpegna

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.80115°N / 12.32005°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4642 ft / 1415 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Intro

If you are interested to take over this page, please let me know. You are also welcome to add all the missing information.

Overview

M. carpegna from the E
Monte Carpegna from the NE
M. Carpegna from the E
From the E
Monte Carpegna
The summit
On the ridge of Monte Carpegna
Towards San Marino

Above the soft hills of Marche a rounded mountain is rising, overlooking fields and orchards, villages and connecting roads. That is Monte Carpegna. It belongs to Appennino Settentrionale, a not so high mountain streak, running across Italy in the NW-SE direction. In a broader sense one can count to the Carpegna massif also the surrounding hills, like: San Leo, San Marino, Villagrande, Sasso Simone, Simoncello and more smaller ones.

The southern and south-eastern slopes of Monte Carpegna are quite steep and even rocky (especially the SE face is heavilly eroded). Other sides are less inclined and grassy or forrested. Especially towards the north, Monte Carpegna is lowering with a gentle, grassy slope which is nowadays being used also as a ski resort. From there, a chair lift reaches the eastern summit. On the western summit there are big telecomunication buildings. On the southern slopes there is on 750 m the village of Carpegna. From it a good mountain road ascends up the hill. That is the very popular biking road (on it, Marco Pantani has a monument), but can be used also by other outdoor fans. The road reaches the alpine meadow just below the summit. Besides by this road, Monte Carpegna can be ascended also by several good marked paths.

The panorama from the summit is a very nice one. The hilly Marche landscape is very picturesque itself. In the distance other major summits of Appenines can be seen, attractive is also the distinct rock of San Marino and in a clear day Adriatic sea can be well seen. In the surroundings many old villages and castles, perched on high hills or cliffs are worth visiting. This is the historic country of Montefeltro, so rich with history.

Getting There

Marche Landscape
Marche landscape

Monte Carpegna rises in the middle of a hilly area, quite away from bigger towns and highways. On the west the E45 road is passing by, connecting Cesena and Perugia. In Sansepolcro you can drive northwards, reach Ponte Messa and then deter eastward and drive to Carpegna village. From the Adriatic coast you can drive towards inland from Rimini and then in Maciano deter east towards Villagrande - for the north ascents. From the east you can leave the Adriatic coast in Cattolica and drive by the valley through Mercatino Conca up to Carpegna or to Villagrande.

The Southern Ascent Route

Monte Carpegna Map

From Carpegna village you can drive up by the mountain road till the hut on good 1000 meters (Marco Pantani's monument nearby) where you park. The mountain road goes left, while the marked path continues straight. In turns you gain altitude through refreshing forrest, until you reach its upper end. Now the path goes up in the vicinity of a shallow ravine. The terrain is mostly grassy, by the path you can see also a few steep rocks. In 45 minutes you reach the "Porta", a notch in the main ridge, where you turn left. Now you ascend over gentle slopes, first on the eastern summit then over the meadow with huts on the highest point. 1 h 30 minutes altogether.

On the descent you will probably take the mountain road which descends from the alpine meadow towards the south. It goes in several turns down, on the crossroad you take the left branch and continue by it to the parking place.

 
Monte Carpegna ascent
On the S route
 
Monte Carpegna E ridge
The East ridge
 
Ascending Monte Carpegna
On the East ridge

Red Tape

Together with the neighbouring hills, Monte Carpegna is incorporated into "Parco naturale regionale del Sasso Simone e Simoncello". The whole area is rich with flora and fauna.

When To Ascend?

Monte Carpegna can be ascended any time of a season. In summer the ascent can be hot. In winter you can do also a short and easy ski tour there. The mountain road from Carpegna village up is not cleaned in winter. In April 2010 it was closed and the upper part was (incidently) covered by a 20 cm of fresh snow.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.