Monte dei Pizzoni

Monte dei Pizzoni

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.03485°N / 9.08302°E
Additional Information County: Lumbardy
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4275 ft / 1303 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sunset from Cime dei Pizzoni
Cime dei Pizzoni
Monte dei Pizzoni “ ( tr. tops of Pizzoni ) is a series of minor elevations been part of the subgroup of Prealpi Luganesi-Comasche ; they surround the southern side of Valsolda and impending on the northern coast of the Lugano lake(Ceresio). In Swiss cartography (CNS fg. 1334 ; Porlezza - 1:25.000) are reported following altimetries: quota 1080 m. ; 1179 m. ; 1303 m. and 1289 m. , laid out on a ridge with increasing altimetric order from W towards E until the highest elevation 1303 m. The most eastern of them , q. 1289 m. , is distinguishes to the highest by an inaccessible cliff higher little less than hundred meters. Toponym “Monte dei Pizzoni” comes from conformation of its ridge , that in the higher part , is formed of a lot of towers, pinnacles and, exactly , “pizzoni” of white limestone rocks . Panorama is varied and evocative at least . From the main top q. 1303 m. view spaces free towards East in direction of “ val Menaggio” , Como lake (Lario) and Orobie Alps , while towards West , panorama embraces the branch of the Lugano lake and homonym lacustrine gulf and in distance the Pennine Alps . Towards N the view is closed up by the step and abrupt southern flank of “ Cime di Fiorina “ 1810 m. and by the northern head of Valsolda , instead looking South the wide ranging is pushed beyond waters of the Lugano lake on the sweet undulations of val d’ Intelvi .

Valsolda

Cime dei Pizzoni ; view to North
Valsolda , of which “Pizzoni”, form the southern head , branches off the northern coast of the Lugano lake (Ceresio) near the beautiful “ valsoldesi ” coastal villages : Oria , Albogasio , San Mamete and Cressogno that can be consider the door of access to the valley . They owe their moderate reputation to the famous romantic narrator and poet Antonio Fogazzaro (Vicenza 1842 - 1911) who spend almost the whole of his young vacations in the maternal house in Oria Valsola and here he conceived its more famous works which the collection of poems “Valsolda” of 1876 and the novel “Small ancient world “ stand out are setted just in Valsolda. Still today , like more than a century ago , the higher part of Valsolda , beyond the villages of Drano 473 m. , Puria 504 m. and Dasio 580 m. has a remarkable wilderness connotation, with extend and tick forest zones of which the state property area of the “Regional Forest Valsolda “ represents the feather in his cap . A good system of marked paths allows you to enter in the wild valley and to carry out many and varies trekking of great satisfaction .
Panorama to Monte dei Pizzoni from Torrione di Valsolda

Getting There

By car : From Italy : Como - SS 340 Regina to Menaggio - dir. Lugano up to Valsolda From Swiss : Lugano (Ti)- Gandria - Valsolda By pubblic transport : timetable North Trail Milano-Como timetable Bus Como-Menaggio timetable Bus Menaggio-Porelzza-Valsolda timetable Boat Line - Como Lake

Red Tape

No tax or fee allowed

Camping and accomodation

Camping is permitted almost everywhere far from the villages. equipped camping in Porlezza equipped camping in Carlazzo camping San Rocco ( Valsolda ) Good and cheap accomodation in B&B Also great but expensive accomodation in Hotel Parco San Marco

External Links

For more info about route go to hikr.org

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.