Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 36.80000°N / 114.5°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



The Mormon Mountains is a mountain range in Southeast Nevada. The majority of this mountain range is in Lincoln County. The most southern part of the range lies in Clark County. It is about 60 miles Northeast of Las Vegas and about 25 miles Northwest of Mesquite, NV. It covers an area just under 250 square miles. The most hiked mountain in this range is Moapa Peak with its intriguing knife edge. The high point of this range is Mormon Peak at 7.414 feet. This holds a special spot on the Nevada Prominence list. It is one of Nevada’s 172 peaks with at least 2000 feet of prominence. It comes in at number 24 with 4,034 feet of prominence. This makes it the 3rd most prominent peak of southern Nevada after Charleston Peak and Hayford Peak. Mormon Peak is also one of the Las Vegas Mountaineers Club’s (LVMC) 50 Classic Peaks.

The Mormon Mountains are diversified with wildlife. You can find everything from lizards, snakes, bobcats, desert tortoises, toads, frogs, coyotes, and much more. There are also many species of birds too. The golden eagle and burrowing owl are just a few that can be found.

The jagged peaks in this range are made of mostly of limestone. This was formed ages ago when shallow seas existed. Due to this many fossils can be found in the area. Gold was also once mined here as well at Whitmore Mine.

Getting There




The best way to access the Mormon Mountains is off of I-15. Exit 100 entering on to Carp Road is the most common access point. Another place would be at Exit 111-112 just west of Mesquite. There is a truck resting area here. The dirt road going north along side Hidden Valley Wash will get you into this area as well. From the north one can go through Caliente. Continue south on State Highway 317 through Elgin and Lyman Crossing to Carp, just above the northern corner of the Mormon Mountains Wilderness.

To access the western edge of the Mormon Mountains take exit 90 off of I-15. Take HWY 168 west for just under three miles. Then turn North on Meadow Valley Road.

Red Tape / Camping

Blue Sage


Camping is permitted anywhere within 100 feet of a designated road as long is it is not within 1/4 mile of a water source. Campfires are permitted using dead wood.


Bureau of Land Management
Las Vegas Field Office
4701 North Torrey Pines Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada 89130
(702) 515-5000


Peaks in the Range

Mormon Peak




  • Mormon Peak Elevation 7,414 feet



    Moapa Peak




  • Moapa Peak Elevation 6,491 feet



    Davidson Peak




  • Davidson Peak Elevation 5,324 feet



    Candy BM




  • Candy BM Elevation 3,438 feet

    Weather

    Moapa Peak from Davidson Peak
    Click for Moapa, Nevada Forecast


    External Links

  • Mormon Mountains Wilderness
  • Mormon Mountains Fact Sheet
  • Bird and Hike Jim Boone's page on Mormon Mountains Wilderness
  • Sangres A good resource page on the Mormon Mountains
  • Wikipedia's page on the Mormon Mountains


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Southern NevadaAreas & Ranges