Pt. 7378 (Mormon Mountains)

Pt. 7378 (Mormon Mountains)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.95270°N / 114.46496°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7378 ft / 2249 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pt. 7378 is the second highest point in the Mormon Mountains of Southern Nevada, and sits in the heart of the range. Surrounded by deep canyons and steep cliffs, it is a very enjoyable hike. Access is first along a very good, graded gravel road. Then a rougher stretch to gain the Horse Spring TH, which a high clearance vehicle makes easier. Along the way are some of the numerous prehistoric cultural sites that dot the range. Summers would be quite hot here down low, and still pretty warm higher up, but with an early start may be more tolerable with plenty of water. Winter could see snow cover of varying depth. Spring and autumn would be the best bet.

Getting There

North of Las Vegas, and just a few miles south of Mesquite, NV, take the Carp Elgin Interchange exit off I15, and head north. There will be a couple interpretive signs in a big gravel lot, and follow the paved road north east that parallels I15. After a couple miles it makes a 90 and heads towards the Mormon Mountains on good, graded gravel. Continue on this graded gravel road, over "The Summit", a gap just west of Davidson Peak, and down to the South Fork Toquop Wash jct. a few miles further. Head west and follow this rougher road for another few miles to Horse Spring TH, parking for a few vehicles. Along the South Fork Toquop Wash road are a number of prehistoric agave roasting pits, located as marked on topo maps, if one is interested. Also a habitation cave .5 mile or so west of the cattle gate one passes thru along the way, above South Fork Toquop Wash.

Route

From the Horse Spring TH, the ridge due west is the goal. Gain it as you like then continue along it north to the flat, open summit of Pt. 7378. I headed up an easy ridge towards Pt. 7211, then traversed in front (east) of it on steep slopes along good game trails to the saddle between it and Pt. 7281. Then stayed low along the west side of that to the gap between it and Pt. 7378. Then easy slopes to the summit.

Camping

Lots of great camping along any of the roads. You can't go wrong.

External Links

BLM Mormon Mountains Wilderness

Red Tape

Signs indicating “Wilderness” and “Closed Road” or “Closed Route” are placed at various intervals. Vehicles can be parked
outside the wilderness boundary; however, the boundary is set back 100 feet on roads.
Mechanized and motorized vehicles are NOT PERMITTED in a wilderness area.
Hunting, fishing, and non-commercial trapping are allowed under state and local laws. Pets are allowed, but please keep your
pets under control at all times. Horses are permitted, however you may need to carry feed. Removal, disturbance, or
attempting to remove archaeological materials is a felony. Selling, receiving, purchasing, transporting, exchanging or offering
to do so is prohibited by law.
Camping is permitted, limited to 14 days. After 14 days campers must relocate at least 25 miles from previous site (interim
policy, until wilderness planning is complete). Gathering wood for campfires, when permitted, is limited to dead and down
material. Live vegetation cannot be cut.
Please help preserve Nevada’s fragile environments, park your vehicle or set up camp in previously used sites, minimize
impacts by practicing Leave No Trace ethics.
Contact Ely Bureau of Land Management Field Office for current weather, road conditions, and hazards.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Noondueler

Noondueler - Apr 25, 2012 12:53 am - Voted 10/10

Mormom Mountains?

I think you mean Mormon Mtns.

goofball

goofball - Apr 25, 2012 6:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mormom Mountains?

Ha ! Your right, how funny I missed that so long. Thanks.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mormon MountainsMountains & Rocks