Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.69570°N / 71.8927°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1832 ft / 558 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking south to distant Mt....More views from the summit



One of the most popular hikes in Massachusetts, Mt. Watatic stands as the southernmost summit on the 22 mile Wapack Trail and lies just east of the end of the Midstate Trail. Formerly home to a ski area this mountain is very rewarding in terms of views. The ski resort has been open from time to time in the past until 1988 when all chances for opening the ski resort finally ended.

Looking north from the summit... View looking up all the summits on the Wapack Trail



Today there is an excellent direction from trail with the most direct way coming from Route 119. The summit area fetures two bald summits each with decent views of towards the Manadnock Region and downtown Boston. It is a classic low summit hike with a classic 270 degree panorama. The summit is not wooded which is surprising due to it's low elevation. This mountain can be easily done in an afternoon and can be done throughout the year.

Looking south from Mt....View from Mount Watatic



The Class 1 Wapack Trail is the preferred way up to the summit of Mt. Watatic. The trail is moderate with some steeper sections but nothing on the trail comes close to approaching Class 2. Via the most direct route this summit is only 1.1 miles one way and 1000 feet of elevation gain. A 4 mile loop hike can be made of this mountain as well adding more scenery and views. Toward the top the trail eases and the panorama awaits. To the north, the rest of the Wapack Range rises with the trail highpoint of North Pack Monadnock and Pack Monadnock rises in the background. To the easy most of Massachusetts hilly countryside rises. On clear day the skyscrapers of Boston can be seen. To the south lies Mt. Watchusett and it's ski run. Due to the close proximity to Boston this mountain always has a crowd. Best time for solitude is on a winter weekday.

Classic shot looking over the... The true summit

Map Information

Map of the route up Mount WataticMap of the routes



As of right now my map generator program is down. Here is a good MAP LINK of a loop hike up Mount Watatic.

Getting There

TO WAPACK TRAIL TRAILHEAD: Take Route 119 through the hill country of northern Massachusetts. If coming from the east go past the town of Ashby and stay on the road past the summit of Mt. Watatic (a round and bald summit on your right). The trailhead with be on your right with marking to both the Midstate Trail and the Wapack Trail.

Red Tape

There are no fees here.

When To Climb

This summit can be climbed at any time of the year. Remember to bring snowshoes or crampons in the winter though.

Camping

Camping is not permitted on the summit of Mt. Watatic.

Mountain Conditions

Check out this page for this mountain and all Wapack Trail information

Here is a detailed page about the hike up Mount Watatic.

THis website features opinions on Mount Watatic.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks