Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.09400°N / 72.1349°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2162 ft / 659 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the summit of Picture...Pitcher Mountain views



If there ever is mountain that represents its name, this is it. In terms of terrific views of southern New Hampshire, this is a true classic. The views include many of the southern Green Mountains as well as most of the Monadnock region, as well as on rare days the White Mountains (Mt. Lafayette). Even without the fire tower the views are terrific, but the fire tower 360 panoramas make a true gem.

Sunset and sun pillar with...Pitcher perfect sunset from Pitcher Mountain



The hike to the summit is true walk up of about 0.4 miles. The trail, which is a fire road, attains the summit at easy to moderate grade. If you are creative though there are the rocks that can add some bouldering to your trip. But the main route is as simple as possible for New Hampshire.

Getting There

VIA TRAILHEAD ON NH 123: Heading west from Concord to Keene make a right on Route 123, which has a sign directing traffic to Stoddard. Head up the road past the town center and up past the lake. The will soon start climbing and you start to fields at about 3 1/2 miles. Pitcher Mtn. and its fire tower will soon appear on your. You will know you are getting close by the blowing and drifting snow signs. The trailhead will be on the northern side which will be on your right.

Red Tape

No red tape.

When To Climb

This summit can be climbed year round though winter may require snowshoes. The best time to climb is fall when leafs have just changed because fall foilage on this summit can't be missed. Winter just after a storm would be equally pretty. Due to low hike time Pitcher Mtn. would be a good sunset viewing area.

Camping

If you are just summitting Pitcher Mountain there is very little reason to camp. Even the worst conditioned person can summit Pitcher Mtn. in under 30 minutes.

However if traversing the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway there is the Fox Brook Campground roughly two and half miles to the north.

Mountain Conditions

Best bet is contact the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway for information.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks