Mount Wilson/Bread Loaf Mountain

Mount Wilson/Bread Loaf Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00000°N / 72.92°W
Additional Information County: Addison
Additional Information Elevation: 3790 ft / 1155 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview




Broad Loaf Summit 2

Mount Wilson and Bread Loaf are close neighbors on the Long Trail in the Central Green Mountains with a distance of .82 miles between the two and an approximately 1 mile hike over terrain that only varies by 400' down and 300' back up.

Mount Wilson ranks #92 in the New England 100 tallest peak list. It is also the 14th tallest feature in the state of Vermont. It's actual location is 44.994778N -72.925501W.

Bread Loaf Mountain ranks #87 on the New England 100 tallest peak list. It's considered the 12th tallest feature in Vermont. The location for this peak is 44.002113N -72.941362W.

The two peaks are lumped together because of relative distance. It wouldn't make sense to touch one without also reaching the other though no matter what approach you take you'll have an elevation gain/loss of 2650' and 9 miles of hiking best case. Neither peak stands out, there are no signs announcing your arrival, no markers and if you were hiking the long trail without a map you would never even know you crossed them.

Getting There

Bread Loaf Summit



There are several approaches to these peaks all of which eventually involve the Long Trail. The shortest is via the Skylight Trail which can be approached traveling on 125 east of Middleburry and turning left up FS 59 (there are 2 FS 59 turns use the furthest east which is labeled Steam Mill Road. From there the trailhead is ~4 miles at a sharp left turn in the road and is well marked with Forest Service signs. There is room for maybe 25 cars here.


Another approach involves the directions above but only traveling ~1 mile down FS 59 and parking at the Burnt Hills trailhead.

You could also park just off 125 where the Long Trail crosses and follow the LT north or park at Lincoln Gap and follow the LT south.

The last approach that I can think of is via Emily Proctor Loop which travels through the bulk of the Bread Loaf Wilderness.

Red Tape

Bread Loaf Foliage



FS 59 is unpaved and narrow so use caution. In the winter it may not be maintained. During spring mud season the LT is considered off limits until the land firms up. Winter hiking is rewarding but difficult depending on snow and road access.


Camping

Mount Wilson Trail




The Skyline Lodge Shelter is ~500' from where the Skylight Trail joins the LT. There is room there for ~14 people and spring for water.

The Emily Proctor Shelter is located midway between Bread Loaf and Wilson on the LT and is an open shelter which holds 5 people plus an additional tent area and toilet facilty. There is also a stream next to the shelter that can be used as a water source.

External Links

Mount Wilson Summit Topo GPS Capture


US Agriculture Map of Breadloaf Wilderness.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
cwoods17

cwoods17 - Oct 23, 2007 10:29 am - Voted 5/10

Interactive Map

I think you placed the mountains in the wrong place on the interactive map.

dobsonian

dobsonian - Oct 28, 2007 10:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interactive Map

Thanks for the catch, strange because the route had the right numbers. Had to average since we're between 2 peaks so they won't be spot on but we're back in the right general vicinity. If you have anything else that you think might help improve the page let me know.

jniehof - Feb 12, 2010 2:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Summit of Wilson

It's worth noting that the summit of Wilson is not the 3745 point marked on the quads (and which may have had a sign in the past), but one of the 3780+' knobs south on the LT.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.