Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.15210°N / 106.5006°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13535 ft / 4125 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

K 49K 49
K 49K 49

"K 49" is an unofficial name for the tricentennial 13er near the Mount Oklahoma. The peak combines nicely with surrounding 13ers. I chose a combination of Mount Oklahoma (centennial peak), Deer Mountain, "K 49", Unnamed 13736 and Mount Champion. 

Colorado Rank: 231 (tricentennial peak = among the highest 300 in Colorado)
Class: 2
Line Parent: Deer Mountain
Wilderness: Mount Massive

Nearby Peaks:

Getting There

The closest town would be Leadville. The drive to the trailhead takes about 40 min and is mostly on a good dirt road. From US 24 south of Leadville, turn onto Colorado 300 and then onto County Road 11. Continue for 1.2 miles and turn right on the road to Halfmoon Creek. The road is initially passable by regular vehicles, the last 1/2 miles before reaching the North Halfmoon Creek TH the road becomes rougher and high clearance vehicles are recommended. 

The first section of the road can be busy since it is very popular with hikers. It provides access to two highest mountains in Colorado: fourteeners: Mount Elbert and Mount Massive. 

Route

Summit of K 49Summit of K 49
K 49K 49

Like any mountain, there are many ways up it.

I chose to combine it with other nearby 13ers. While the trailheads for 14ers were packed with people, I found solitude and did not meet any other hikers during my five 13ers march. 

K 49 is not technically difficult, only class 2 walk and combines nearly nicely with nearby 13ers. 

Red Tape

Driving, parking and hiking are free. 

The mountain is located within Mount Massive Wilderness area, so wilderness rules apply. Leave No Trace.

When to Climb

Summer and early autumn are the easiest months to climb this peak. Winter and spring provide a longer approach and travel through avalanche terrain. 

Camping

There is plenty of free camping along the road and there are also developed campgrounds. 

Halfmoon East Campground is located off the Halfmoon Road. This is a very popular campground near the Mount Elbert and Mount Massive Trailheads (the highest and the 2nd highest mountains in Colorado). Halfmoon West Campground is located right next to the East one. 

External Links